Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12852930

Subject: "What Can You Buy for the Price of One SoHo Apartment?" Previous topic | Next topic
Mongo
Member since Oct 26th 2005
45670 posts
Tue Jul-14-15 11:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"What Can You Buy for the Price of One SoHo Apartment?"

...I could apparently buy a neighborhood in Memphis for the cost of a Soho apartment.

Anybody wanna go in halfsies on buying Detroit?

http://www.citylab.com/housing/2015/07/how-many-houses-can-you-get-for-the-price-of-one-in-lower-manhattan/398216/

It is far from a secret that purchasing a home in New York City is an expensive feat. The average home in the United States will set you back $179,000, according to Zillow; the average home in the five boroughs costs just under $600,000. But in Manhattan’s SoHo, home to a bustling high-end shopping era, scores of excellent restaurants, and converted warehouse apartments, the price is much higher: almost $3 million ($2,912,792) for the average home, according to Zillow’s estimates. In fact, the real estate data company ranks SoHo as among the most expensive ZIP codes in the entire country, behind only a handful of incredibly pricey California and coastal Florida neighborhoods.

Just how many houses could one buy for the price of one SoHo apartment?

With help from my Martin Prosperity Institute (MPI) colleague Charlotta Mellander, I decided to crunch the numbers and find out. We pulled 2014 housing data on more than 11,000 U.S. ZIP codes from Zillow’s Home Value Index, which estimates the median price for given areas across the country. In the map below, based on Zillow’s data, the places where the price of one SoHo apartment can purchase the most homes are in dark purple; those where the price of a SoHo apartment can purchase the fewest homes are in the lightest pink.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

What Can You Buy for the Price of One SoHo Apartment? [View all] , Mongo, Tue Jul-14-15 11:15 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
damn. one would have to be a fool to buy a place in SoHo.
Jul 14th 2015
Or an oligarch. Or a Wall Street DudeBro™. Which is...
Jul 14th 2015
...like i said. a fool.
Jul 14th 2015
why if you can afford it?
Jul 14th 2015
      oh okay.
Jul 14th 2015
      basically
Jul 14th 2015
           why buy 1 SoHo joint when they could be 18 joints in ___?
Jul 14th 2015
                word
Jul 14th 2015
Runaway Capitalism. Something has to give or break.
Jul 14th 2015
the silverdome 6 times over.
Jul 14th 2015
Best city in the world...
Jul 14th 2015
i could buy myself a lot of free time by not working again.
Jul 14th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12852930 Previous topic | Next topic