Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12843271

Subject: "We talk about Nymag's Rikers Island article?" Previous topic | Next topic
BigReg
Charter member
62390 posts
Wed Jul-01-15 11:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"We talk about Nymag's Rikers Island article?"
Wed Jul-01-15 11:08 AM by BigReg

Holy shit, the mother of all 'This is how it is inside' pieces, just great (but fucking sad) reading all around from all perspectives: the CO's, the prisoners, the visitors, etc.

"There was this one inmate who actually has a baby by one of the officers. They brought her to the segregation unit, and she had bruises on her body because another officer physically assaulted her. He spit on her from outside her holding cell. She’s a problem inmate, but that didn’t give him the right to hurt her and spit on her. If we spit on them, we would get another charge. So why are they allowed to do that to us if we can’t do it back?"

"I think the real inmates at Rikers are the COs, because they have a lifelong sentence, you know? One of the COs told me his entire childhood he spent waiting for his dad to get out of prison. He would get out of prison and go back. And now the guy is a CO in jail. So I was like, “Why would you do that?” And he said, “Well, it’s good health benefits.” I’m like, “Really?” And he said, “Yeah, you have to feed your children, right?”

"Something happened two days ago. The guy overdosed on BuSpar — a mental-health medication. And they just stood there not doing nothing, man. I went to speak to the guy and his eyes were like in the back of his head, so I woke him up. He ran into the wall. He pissed on himself and fell down. I ran over to the officer, and he went and got the medical staff. They took fucking like 30 minutes to get to this guy, man, and they’re right here! They didn’t want to even touch him. I had to put him on the stretcher and everything. That’s not my job, I just did it just to help him out"

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2015/06/inside-rikers-island-interviews.html

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

We talk about Nymag's Rikers Island article? [View all] , BigReg, Wed Jul-01-15 11:06 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
oh thanks
Jul 01st 2015
Read it last night. Then watch the first episode of OITNB which had a
Jul 01st 2015
Dude was telling me the most terrible story at Makossa
Jul 01st 2015
My old super was a CO.
Jul 01st 2015
Newburgh AKA Newbooty!
Jul 01st 2015
Fuck! Listen...
Jul 01st 2015
      LOL
Jul 01st 2015
      FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Jul 01st 2015
shit
Jul 01st 2015
Goddamn.
Jul 01st 2015
my mans is a CO on Rikers and he's a normal dude
Jul 01st 2015
it's not that simple. you adapt to your environment
Jul 01st 2015
The prison system is SUPREMELY fucked up.
Jul 01st 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12843271 Previous topic | Next topic