Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12772561

Subject: "Are you a Bottle or Tap water person?" Previous topic | Next topic
Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Mon Apr-06-15 07:01 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Poll question: Are you a Bottle or Tap water person?"
Mon Apr-06-15 07:16 AM by Case_One

After my water filter broke on yesterday I was going to but a new one, but then I got to thinking, "Do a really need a new water filter?" I guess the decision lands on how well do I feel about the water that's coming from the tap. The tape water in my apartment is clean, doesn't taste funny, and it has not smell. In fact the complex just replaced all the pipes to the buildings in the complex, and things seem to be good.

But do I still need that new filter or should I get a case of bottled water for drinking. That is the question. I guess I have become a water snob to some degree, but I will drink tap water at a restaurant instead of asking for a bottled water.

What do you prefer or drink bottle or tap water?

Which Is Better: Bottled or Tap Water?
Why is one simple question about water so hard to answer?
BY MARKHAM HEID, JANUARY 17, 2014

http://www.menshealth.com/health/which-better-bottled-or-tap-water?cid=isynd_PV_0115

If you still pause at a waiter’s first question—“Is tap water okay?”—you’re not alone. Compared to the previous year, fewer Americans made the switch from bottled to tap water in 2010, according to the most recent data on the topic in a Harris Interactive Poll.

Most of the time, tap water is just as safe as bottled water, says Mae Wu, an attorney with the National Resources Defense Council who also works for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Thanks to the rigorous standards imposed on tap water by public health organizations, bottled water is not necessarily any safer or cleaner than tap under normal circumstances. And the stuff out of the faucet comes without the added cost and waste buildup associated with bottled water, Wu says. In fact, one report from the non-profit Environmental Working Groupfound contamination levels in store-bought water that violated public water safety standards.

That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t drink Poland Springs. Despite those few anecdotal reports, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations governing the quality of bottled water are “at least as stringent” as the EPA standards for tap water, explains Stephen Edberg, Ph.D., a professor of chemical engineering at Yale University.

But bottles can be costly—for you and the environment—so here are three ways to make sure your tap water is up to par.

CONSIDER YOUR ZIP CODE

If you live in a rural farming community, there’s a greater likelihood of contamination from pesticide runoff, Wu explains. To protect yourself, ask your local water authority to come test your water—a service they’ll likely perform for free, she says. The EPA’s website also offers water-monitoring resources. Big-city dwellers, you’re in luck: Wu says New York and San Francisco, among many other metropolises, have some of the cleanest water in the country.

FIND OUT WHERE YOUR TAP DRAWS FROM

If your water is from a private well—which isn’t regulated—you could be at risk for chlorine and other volatile organic chemicals, Wu says. Or, if your home was built before the 1970s, it may house older lead-lined pipes, which could also throw off your water. In both cases, have your H2O tested, Wu advises. (If you own your home, you likely know where you water comes from. If you rent, ask your landlord.)

CONSIDER A FILTER

If your water turns out to be contaminated, Wu says a filter from makers like ZeroWater or Brita will safeguard your supply for a fraction of the cost of bottled options. Your water report will highlight potential health risks, which—for the most part—can be fixed with a filter. Shop for one that specifically targets the contaminants in your H2O, she suggests. All filter makers list the contaminants their products remove. Remember, many bottled waters—Dasani and Aquafina, for example—are just filtered tap water. By filtering it yourself, you’re saving money, Wu says.

IN SOME SITUATIONS, BOTTLED IS BEST
"People receiving cancer chemotherapy—or those on medications for arthritis, HIV, and other conditions resulting in immunosuppression—are highly susceptible to even small amounts of some water contaminants," Edberg says. Share your water report with your doctor, and if he suggests sticking to bottled, don't assume a filter will offer you the same protections.

http://www.bottledwater.org/health/bottled-water-vs-tap-water

Get the Facts
The 2011Drinking Water Research Foundation (DWRF) report “Bottled Water and Tap Water: Just the Facts” provides a detailed comparison of quality and monitoring regulations for tap water and bottled water.

Differences in the regulation of tap water and bottled water, though minimal, highlight the differences between drinking water delivered by a public water system and drinking water delivered to the consumer in a sealed container.

Public water systems (tap water) provide quality water for human consumption and other uses (e.g., washing clothes, bathing, and industrial and commercial uses) through a piped distribution system to specific communities. Public water systems are granted exclusive rights to provide water to consumers in a particular geographic or municipal area. Consumers do not, therefore, have a choice of which public water system will provide water to their homes or businesses.

Bottled water is a packaged food product sold in individual, sanitary, sealed containers. It is intended solely for human consumption. Consumers have a variety of bottled water choices available to satisfy their particular tastes and price preferences. It is sold in many different package sizes, including 3- and 5-gallon containers used in bottled water coolers, 2.5-gallon refrigerator-size containers, and “on-the go” half-liter, one-liter, and 1.5 liter convenience–size packages. Consumers choose bottled water for several reasons: taste, quality, and convenience.

Poll result (34 votes)
Tap Water (15 votes)Vote
Bottle Water (4 votes)Vote
*TAP - Filtered water at Home. (15 votes)Vote

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Are you a Bottle or Tap water person? [View all] , Case_One, Mon Apr-06-15 07:01 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Tap but I use a brita...
Apr 06th 2015
There's an option for that in the poll.
Apr 06th 2015
Both. Except in SC.
Apr 06th 2015
both
Apr 06th 2015
*TAP - Filtered water at Home.
Apr 06th 2015
Tap or bottled. Bottled water is just more convenient for me and my life...
Apr 06th 2015
Both. I drink bottled seltzer water and use a Brita pitcher for my tap.
Apr 06th 2015
Tap in NY only
Apr 06th 2015
the way i feel about water has evolved over the years
Apr 06th 2015
Hell as a kid? Nothing beat water hose water or side of the house water!
Apr 06th 2015
Evian in the plastic bottle is awful, but the glass bottle is good.
Apr 06th 2015
True, Tap water can be great
Apr 06th 2015
mostly just straight tap, but we do have a brita pitcher
Apr 06th 2015
When in Michigan or any other Great Lakes State, tap
Apr 06th 2015
I keep a pitcher of tap water in the fridge
Apr 06th 2015
Tap, but I have a severely limited sense of taste & smell
Apr 06th 2015
it be me and the messicans filling up our jugs...
Apr 06th 2015
I swear I feel like the only black man in the city while filling my jugs
Apr 06th 2015
      $.37/gallon?
Apr 06th 2015
           WTF? 37 cent a gallon? how and where does this happen?
Apr 06th 2015
                Walmart, your local Kroger or Safeway affiliate, etc..
Apr 06th 2015
Tap, but I live in Seattle which is basically the home...
Apr 06th 2015
It is great.
Apr 06th 2015
My closest Bodega charges $3 per gallon of regular Deer Park
Apr 06th 2015
I prefer tap.
Apr 06th 2015
*sticks face under the faucet for a drink*
Apr 06th 2015
the water in the entirety of the SW USA is dirty as fuck
Apr 06th 2015
Depends on what's cold, really. I'm a fan of COLD water fountains.
Apr 06th 2015
Bottle I rather not deal with excess chlorine and fluoride
Apr 06th 2015
tap that's filtered through some reverse osmosis then filtered through
Apr 06th 2015
I hate the taste of water either way. So I always add True Lemon to it.
Apr 06th 2015
Tap water.
Apr 06th 2015
I drink too much water to be buying bottled. Tap - Filtered at Home
Apr 06th 2015
Bottled water is one of the most amazing okeydokes of our age.
Apr 07th 2015
What's the best water filter?
Apr 11th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12772561 Previous topic | Next topic