Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12738608

Subject: "City Of Cleveland Says Tamir Rice Caused His Own Death. (What?)" Previous topic | Next topic
Case_One
Charter member
54687 posts
Sat Feb-28-15 07:16 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"City Of Cleveland Says Tamir Rice Caused His Own Death. (What?)"

City of Cleveland responds to Tamir Rice lawsuit by saying boy's death was caused because of his own actions

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2015/02/city_of_cleveland_responds_to.html

By Eric Heisig, Northeast Ohio Media Group
Follow on Twitter
on February 27, 2015 at 5:05 PM, updated February 28, 2015 at 2:24 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The city of Cleveland on Friday responded to a lawsuit filed by the family of Tamir Rice with several defenses, including that the 12-year-old died and his family members suffered because of their own actions.

The city, in its response, wrote that Tamir's death on Nov. 22 and all of the injuries his family claims in the suit "were directly and proximately caused by their own acts, not this Defendant." It also says that the 12-year-old's shooting death was caused "by the failure ... to exercise due care to avoid injury."

The response does not explain these defenses in more detail, though 20 defenses are listed in all, including another one that says Tamir died because of "the conduct of individuals or entities other than Defendant."

The city also wrote that it does not have enough information to respond in full because the Cuyahoga County Sheriff's Office's investigation into Rice's death by police officer Timothy Loehmann is not finished.

The Sheriff's Office has not given a timeline on completing its investigation into Tamir's death and turning the case over to Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty's Office. A spokesman for the Sheriff's Office did not return messages left Friday.

The lawsuit was first filed in December and amended in January after Tamir's family hired new attorneys. Tamir's parents were added as plaintiffs, as was his sister Tajai Rice.

It alleges the city, Loehmann, officer Frank Garmback and 100 unknown 911 operators, police officers and city employees violated the family's rights in the fatal Nov. 22 shooting outside the Cudell Recreation Center on West Boulevard. Officers responded to a report of a man with a gun. The boy was shot less than two seconds after the officers pulled up to the gazebo outside the recreation center.

The boy was holding a pellet gun.

It goes into detail about the moments after the shooting when Tajai Rice, 14, was tackled and restrained as she ran towards her brother screaming "my baby brother, they killed my baby brother."

The suit also makes references to the Department of Justice's report released on Dec. 4, which found that Cleveland police engaged in a pattern of using excessive force against suspects, and to reports of Loehmann's questionable previous experience as a police officer in Independence and the police's handling of the chase and shooting of Malissa Williams and Timothy Russell in 2012.

In its filing, the city, as it has done before, denied having knowledge of problems in Loehmann's past police employment history.

Finally, in response to an accusation contained in the suit that the city was using the sheriff's office's investigation as an excuse to withhold information, the city says it is not doing this and is cooperating in the investigation.

Walter Madison, an Akron attorney representing the Rice family, said Friday that he believes "that there's merit in our complaint."

"I do believe that a 12-year-old child died unnecessarily at the hands of Cleveland police officers and I do believe that certain officers shouldn't have been entitled to wear the uniform," he said.

A call left for a city spokesman was not returned Friday afternoon.

"Today is your day to have a better life -- it's your right."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

City Of Cleveland Says Tamir Rice Caused His Own Death. (What?) [View all] , Case_One, Sat Feb-28-15 07:16 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Fuck The Police n/m
Feb 28th 2015
They should vote that mayor out of office.
Feb 28th 2015
But isn't he half-Black and a Democrat?
Feb 28th 2015
      What difference doe that make?
Feb 28th 2015
      Wrong is wrong.
Mar 01st 2015
ftp
Feb 28th 2015
Do they expect a jury to believe Tamir would have died if the cops never
Mar 01st 2015
i dont think thats the way to look at it
Mar 01st 2015
RE: personal accountability
Mar 02nd 2015
maybe/maybe not.
Mar 02nd 2015
sadly the public outrage was kinda used up after ferguson
Mar 01st 2015
that poor kid was executed
Mar 01st 2015
I wish I could be shocked or surprised
Mar 02nd 2015
while i believe it's BS and the cops shot too soon....
Mar 02nd 2015
much ado about nothing
Mar 02nd 2015
It just means the city is fighting the suit.
Mar 02nd 2015
it's typical and appropriate
Mar 02nd 2015
      probably both. lol
Mar 02nd 2015
Oh, here we go with the "Above it all" knowledge based,
Mar 02nd 2015
      Put the city's response in perspective.
Mar 02nd 2015
      Nothing to get mad about? What?
Mar 02nd 2015
           the city's response to the plaintiffs' complaint.
Mar 02nd 2015
                And the response is some BS.
Mar 02nd 2015
                     cool.
Mar 02nd 2015
      I don't lecture about theology b/c it's not my area of expertise
Mar 02nd 2015
           Save all that. The response is crap and reasonable people
Mar 02nd 2015
           ok.
Mar 02nd 2015
           *leads you away*
Mar 02nd 2015
                you right. i'm supposed to be doing yoga.
Mar 02nd 2015
                Bye!
Mar 02nd 2015
                He's such an activist, that Case
Mar 02nd 2015
                     You're always actively sniffing my butt.
Mar 02nd 2015
Well what do you know, the City Of Cleveland apologizes.
Mar 02nd 2015
sounds like the city is leaning toward settling the case.
Mar 02nd 2015
      The cops need to go to jail. Plus, Cleveland is a trash heap anyway.
Mar 02nd 2015
           Cool.
Mar 02nd 2015
I mean this is a lawsuit, what do you expect?
Mar 02nd 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12738608 Previous topic | Next topic