Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12734567

Subject: "Maybe I shouldn't have told my boy to marry that girl. " Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49393 posts
Tue Feb-24-15 10:09 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Maybe I shouldn't have told my boy to marry that girl. "

So two weeks before my boy was to get married he called me and he said he and his lady had been having lots of hearts to heart and they were doubting whether they wanted to get married. My position was, look homey we've bought those expensive tickets and I expect to see a wedding. Joking aside, I said that he was just experiencing cold feet and everyone does.

Now I had my reservation. Dude had been caught out there and at times it seemed like she would never be able to get past it. However, my dude had other friends and people in his life to give him the don't do it, reconsider argument. I know another mutual friend did it. Also his mom hit him with, "the choice is yours and we will support you either way" (coming from a mom that's an effective "don't do it").

At the end of the day my advice was calling off the wedding a few days before the event is some stuff for the movies, give it a try and if it don't work out you'll know soon enough and then you can call it quits.

Well they did get married and in a short time later she was pregnant, which of course, changes everything.

These days dude seems a bit defeated. Everytime we talk the first thing out of his mouth is some story of her making his life miserable. I've been discounting that talk alot because dude always talks like that and the fact is I always felt dude needed someone to come down hard on him because he was immature and needed some growing up to do.

But what has made me thinking there marriage was maybe a mistake is that this girl does a lot of open talk about divorce. Like she made a comment about how she wanted to go to the doctor because dude recently dropped their newborn accidentally in order to leave a paper trial of his bad parenting in case they get divorce. Who does that!?!?!?

A couple of things:

1. Ever known couples whose main form of communication is bickering? They are one of those. Even when they aren't mad at each other they are bickering. What happens to those couples?

2. I am getting the general impression that it is harder to marry children of divorce (even harder than dating a child of a single parent). I feel like a.) they tend to be suspicious and cynical about the whole institution of marriage and b.) they are are kind of quick to check out and go the divorce route. I am a firm believer that an unhappy couple without kids should divorce but I don't believe it should be that simple a decision when kids are involved.

3. Umm, Is it too late to say dude I may have been wrong with my advice?

4. Do people really call off weddings two weeks before? Ever seen that happen?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Maybe I shouldn't have told my boy to marry that girl. [View all] , Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Feb-24-15 10:09 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
all that doubt and you still pushed your mans into it
Feb 24th 2015
Rule of thumb:
Feb 24th 2015
I think it's too much involvement for you to tell me how to relate to my
Feb 24th 2015
      That's precisely my point
Feb 24th 2015
      I am not carrying shit around.
Feb 24th 2015
           HaHa.
Feb 24th 2015
                I don't think the long post is about my guilt giving that advice.
Feb 24th 2015
      Whoa. That was weird/awkward.
Feb 24th 2015
Face this fact. He was gonna get married anyway. Regardless of your advi...
Feb 24th 2015
Oh yeah. I definitely wasn't the deciding factor. What I didn't want to...
Feb 24th 2015
"don't make any choices you can't live with" (c) my mother
Feb 24th 2015
excellent advice
Feb 24th 2015
you're a shitty friend, you said yourself dude has maturity issues...
Feb 24th 2015
I've seen a lot of dudes mature from marriage myself included.
Feb 24th 2015
      obviously he didn't marry the right person....
Feb 24th 2015
      I don't think it's obvious.
Feb 24th 2015
      that may be but part of that is the right person
Feb 24th 2015
not true necessarily regarding children of divorce
Feb 24th 2015
I have. I still think child of divorce can be harder.
Feb 24th 2015
that dude is sleeping with the enemy
Feb 24th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12734567 Previous topic | Next topic