Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12733625

Subject: "A good read. " Previous topic | Next topic
Sepia.
Member since Feb 25th 2009
12896 posts
Mon Feb-23-15 03:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "A good read. "
In response to In response to 0

It's interesting to hear from someone else who suffers both pmdd and depression.

Accurate, indeed.

"...I start, in the middle of breathing, to sense on the margins the threat of emptiness. Time blurs. Days pass in a fog. It is morning
and then suddenly it is evening and there is nothing in between. I am frightened of contemplating time itself: the thought of tomorrow
and the day after tomorrow, the endless emptiness of time. I long to sleep and forget. Yet I am afraid of waking up, in terror of a new
day. Mornings are dark, and I lie in bed, wrapped in fatigue. I cry often. My crying puzzles me, surprises me, because there is no cause.
I open a book but the words form no meaning. Writing is impossible. My limbs are heavy, my brain is slow. Everything requires effort. To
consider eating, showering, talking brings to me a great and listless fatigue. Why bother? What’s the point of it all? And why, by the way,
are we here? What is it I know of myself? I mourn the days that have passed, the wasted days, and yet more days are wasted.

The doctor calls these symptoms but they do not feel like symptoms. They feel like personal failures, like defects..."

So very real.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Chimamanda Adichie: on depression [View all] , akon, Mon Feb-23-15 08:56 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
good read. I don't like how dismissive she is at the end though....
Feb 23rd 2015
its very much how we react to depression though
Feb 23rd 2015
It made me envy her a little, honestly.
Feb 23rd 2015
damn. that's awesome.
Feb 23rd 2015
very deep & very accurate.
Feb 23rd 2015
sending you best wishes
Feb 24th 2015
thanks so much for posting this