Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12722083

Subject: "I wonder if Martin Luther and Malcolm X could have been bought?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49429 posts
Mon Feb-09-15 11:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I wonder if Martin Luther and Malcolm X could have been bought?"

I have been thinking lately that 50s and 60s radicals, revolutionaries and agents of change were so successful because their really wasn't any other better choice but to fight for systematic change. That is their lives, livelihoods, the well being of their children all depended on changing the system and making it a better place for everyone.

But what if there were today's money at stake? What if Malcolm X could have been offered a cushy extremely lucrative job at MSNBC hosting a daily show?

What if Martin Luther King had access to forming a mega-church that was earning millions in tithings weekly. I understand that MLK's family was reasonably relatively well to do but they weren't nearly rolling in the dough of a Joel Osteen.

This Capitalistic American System has evolved into a system that is so amazing in it's ability to co-opt disruptive forces, sanitize that force and actually incorporate that force into the system into a way that it not only no longer disrupts the system but actually augments the system.

Look at rap music. Probably one of the most disruptive forces in american society in the last 40 years. N.W.A., Ice T, Public Enemy actually sparked government hearings and government surveillance. 40 years it's as family friendly and sanitized as an Asian kid where a Nas T-Shirt on an ABC Family TV Show. It's Iggy Azealia winning grammys. It's the former drug dealer turned Mogul and capitalist icon who has absolutely no interest in upsetting the current apple cart which puts so much money in his pocket.

And you can dismiss Jay-Z as just a rapper and shouldn't be looked to lead any sort of change but the fact of the matter is Sidney Poiter and Harry Belafonte were leaders of change in the 60s who used their visibility to leverage the cause. I wonder though if they would have done so if they were making 20 Million a picture?

Wouldn't Will Smith and Denzel have to be a little nutty to throw all that money away to change the system that personally benefits them so much?

Martin, Malcolm, Harry Belafonte, Sidney Poiter, et. al were agitating for change that theoretically would have improved their lives and the lives of their family in addition to the race as a whole.

That would not be the deal for wealthiest, most powerful Black people today. Any change to the current system would probably result in great personal sacrifice on their part. It may be that I am cynical but it's not surprise to me that their not willing to do it.

Which kind of explains why Islamic fundamentalist are the most visible and vocal group who want to tear the current system down. They definitely don't have much stake in the current system.

Seems like if we learned anything in the last 100 years about how to deal with disruptive forces it seems we should be offering them jobs, tv shows, record deals if we want them to behave like good little global citizens.

Anyway, that's just what I woke up thinking about this morning.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're r

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

I wonder if Martin Luther and Malcolm X could have been bought? [View all] , Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Feb-09-15 11:05 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
could you?
Feb 09th 2015
I am pretty sure I partially have already.
Feb 09th 2015
      Let me give an example.
Feb 09th 2015
      RE: Let me give an example.
Feb 09th 2015
           Fair point. I guess I was specifically talking to this particular set o...
Feb 09th 2015
      I mean...
Feb 09th 2015
I believe Malcolm could've been bought off moreso than King
Feb 09th 2015
I doubt it's about integrity. I don't mean to call either's integrity
Feb 09th 2015
I have a hard time thinking King would've have given up his
Feb 09th 2015
no
Feb 10th 2015
If they were gotten to early enough they probably could have been
Feb 09th 2015
martin gave every dime he earned to the movement
Feb 09th 2015
My point is that it wasn't alot of dime at stake.
Feb 09th 2015
A. Philip Randolph turned down a million dollars from the Pullman Compan...
Feb 09th 2015
Good points. Well appreciated.
Feb 09th 2015
They were 39 when they were assassinated
Feb 09th 2015
everyone can be bought
Feb 09th 2015
Like Dave Chappelle?
Feb 09th 2015
      Dave did a couple of seasons before he walked so if he wasn't bought
Feb 09th 2015
      Well I think he was doing it his way at the beginning, when they
Feb 09th 2015
      he signed the check
Feb 10th 2015
           But did he follow through?
Feb 10th 2015
If they could have been bought they wouldn't have been shot
Feb 09th 2015
good point.
Feb 09th 2015
Bobby Seale is still alive
Feb 09th 2015
I read Elaine Brown's bio a while ago. She said that ninja was a clown.
Feb 09th 2015
FUCK NO... they died for a reason.
Feb 09th 2015
realistically? no. but hypothetically martin moreso than malcolm
Feb 09th 2015
are you saying like Jackson,Sharpton and Farrikhan??
Feb 10th 2015
If they could've been bought, they wouldn't have been killed
Feb 10th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12722083 Previous topic | Next topic