Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12720396

Subject: "Do Most Americans (i.e white folk) NOT think the US's history is F'd up?" Previous topic | Next topic
Buddy_Gilapagos
Charter member
49394 posts
Fri Feb-06-15 11:17 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Do Most Americans (i.e white folk) NOT think the US's history is F'd up?"
Fri Feb-06-15 11:23 AM by Buddy_Gilapagos

Seen the latest BHO controversy? BHO had the audicity to compare Christianity & American history to what is going on in Islam today.

Key swipe

At the National Prayer Breakfast on Thursday, President Obama told fellow Christians that their religion had been abused and misappropriated in the past, just as Islam has been by terrorists in recent years. “In our home country, slavery and Jim Crow all too often was justified in the name of Christ,” he said. Critics, including many Republicans, were outraged. “The president’s comments this morning at the prayer breakfast are the most offensive I’ve ever heard a president make in my lifetime,” former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore told The Washington Post. “He has offended every believing Christian in the United States. This goes further to the point that Mr. Obama does not believe in America or the values we all share.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2015/02/06/obama-has-offended-every-christian.html

I take for granted that everyone knows what BHO is saying is a fact.

I was about to make a post earlier in the week when I read this in the Economist in a piece blasting how the US is becoming less and less a meritocracy:

"Before the word meritocracy was coined by Michael Young, a British sociologist and institutional entrepreneur, in the 1950s there was a different name for the notion that power, success and wealth should be distributed according to talent and diligence, rather than by accident of birth: American. For sure, America has always had rich and powerful families, from the floor of the Senate to the boardrooms of the steel industry. But it has also held more fervently than any other country the belief that all comers can penetrate that elite as long as they have talent, perseverance and gumption. At times when that has not been the case Americans have responded with authentic outrage, surmising that the people at the top are, as Nick Carraway said, “a rotten crowd”, with bootlegging Gatsby better than the whole damn bunch put together."

Remember this is from a piece that is sympathetic to inequality in modern American society. And yet, as a black american, I read that and know that it is complete utter BS and a blatant lie to say that the history of the US is the history of a place that "held more fervently than any other country the belief that all comers can penetrate that elite as long as they have talent, perseverance and gumption".

That is completely untrue when Slavery and Segregation was enforced for a majority of the history of this country.

Do other people (i.e., non-black people) read that and NOT have that reaction?

Are most people walking around this country actively believing in this falsehood about this country?

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

http://blackpeopleonlocalnews.tumblr.com/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Do Most Americans (i.e white folk) NOT think the US's history is F'd up? [View all] , Buddy_Gilapagos, Fri Feb-06-15 11:17 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Yes n.m
Feb 06th 2015
Moral relativism
Feb 06th 2015
Yup. Never forget an argument i had in the Bush era
Feb 06th 2015
      ha!
Feb 06th 2015
the average white person has a "do what you gotta do" attitude
Feb 06th 2015
I lightweight hope this one blows up...
Feb 06th 2015
it'd be awesome if we had a week long national debate on this
Feb 06th 2015
how can you even be offended at what Obama said? facts are facts
Feb 06th 2015
because it is not "their" facts lol
Feb 06th 2015
i could deal w/that stuff you read in the Economist
Feb 06th 2015
yep
Feb 06th 2015
I kept reading it waiting for the caveat or the asterisk.
Feb 06th 2015
RE: i could deal w/that stuff you read in the Economist
Feb 06th 2015
Perfect! The way it should have always been printed
Feb 06th 2015
yes
Feb 06th 2015
West Virginia Legislation Would Criminalize Teaching Social Problems Fir...
Feb 06th 2015
. . .
Feb 06th 2015
^^shit that's actually happening while people chase conspiracies
Feb 06th 2015
"I take for granted that everyone knows what BHO is saying is a fact."
Feb 06th 2015
They feel Manifest Destiny justifies everything. n/m
Feb 06th 2015
yup.
Feb 06th 2015
i remember saying that the manifest destiny was racist* in class
Feb 06th 2015
Certain parts of the country (the south) are still trying to justify shi...
Feb 06th 2015
The term "War of Northern Aggression" is still heavily used today
Feb 06th 2015
Damn. This is the first time I've ever noticed this term
Feb 06th 2015
Most Americans don't know shit about shit unless it's sports
Feb 06th 2015
ill never forget i was kickin it down in SC and i saw a white dude...
Feb 06th 2015
Get over it. Stop making everything about race.
Feb 06th 2015
I think I'd like to tape a bunch of children saying each of these lines....
Feb 06th 2015
Archive!
Feb 06th 2015
about sums it up
Feb 09th 2015
nah...
Feb 09th 2015
      n/m
Feb 09th 2015
Lol speaking of this, i just watched Dinesh's new movie "America"
Feb 06th 2015
uh maybe you just found out abt Saul alinsky but...
Feb 09th 2015
I've been posting dark and angry lately. I think SAD is messing with me...
Feb 09th 2015
Yes and no.
Feb 10th 2015
^
Feb 10th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12720396 Previous topic | Next topic