Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12711422

Subject: "APC designer calls specific line 'Last Niggas in Paris' 'ye approved? (s..." Previous topic | Next topic
bucknchange
Member since May 07th 2003
3590 posts
Wed Jan-28-15 11:53 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"APC designer calls specific line 'Last Niggas in Paris' 'ye approved? (s..."
Wed Jan-28-15 11:53 AM by bucknchange

Can a brand ever use the N-word to sell clothes? The answer, surely, is absolutely not. Who would ever suggest it? Well, Jean Touitou, the founder of A.P.C., did today at a Fall presentation that was full of tasteful menswear but stretched the boundaries of appropriateness.

As he opened his live narration of the collection, Touitou told us this: "Being both a creative genius and making clothes that can be worn are two different jobs, two worlds apart. One can't at the same time do things right and bother with headlines and spotlight exposure."Touitou clearly—and rightly—counts himself as a maker of excellent, wearable clothes. And yet after promising during his first set of four looks, "I won't deliver a big shock," he then went on to do just that. Touitou ushered in a quartet of models wearing three different cuts of a camel overcoat and one check, all matched with gray sweatpants and A.P.C.-designed Timberlands. Then he held up a sign that said, "Last Ni##@$ IN PARIS," and gave us this exposition: "I call this one look Last N****s in Paris. Why? Because it's the sweet spot when the hood—the 'hood—meets Bertolucci's movie Last Tango in Paris. So that's 'N****s in Paris' and Last N****s in Paris. Oh, I am glad some people laughed with me. Yes, I mean, it's nice to play with the strong signifiers. The Timberland here is a very strong ghetto signifier. In the ghetto, it is all the Timberlands, all the big chain. Not at the same time—never; it's bad taste. So we designed Timberlands with Timberland…" And on he went. Touitou likes to be irreverent. But what he said here seemed ill considered, at the very least.

Contacted by e-mail afterward, Touitou clarified his position, that sign, and that speech by saying: "One hip-hop song is called 'N***** in Paris.' One movie is called 'Last Tango in Paris.'

"I made looks which are a cross-over of those two references: the Timberland shoes and the sweat pants are iconic of hip-hop, and the camel hair color coat, worn with nothing under it, is iconic of that precise movie. I am friends with Kanye , and he and I presented a joint collection at the same place, one year ago, and that this thing is only a homage to our friendship. As a matter of fact, when I came up with this idea, I wrote to him, with the picture of the look and the name I was giving to it, and he wrote back immediately saying something like, 'I love this vibe.'"

http://www.style.com/fashion-shows/fall-2015-menswear/a-p-c-

Hmm. Even with Kanye's permission—and that more fully expressed exposition—Touitou is swimming in perilous waters.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

APC designer calls specific line 'Last Niggas in Paris' 'ye approved? (s... [View all] , bucknchange, Wed Jan-28-15 11:53 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
folks entirely too in love with that line/song
Jan 28th 2015
^^^^^RE: folks entirely too in love with that line/song
Jan 28th 2015
Agreed
Jan 29th 2015
"Weak as Snails" is the look when I wear white clothing
Jan 28th 2015
is that a threat???? sounds like a threat to me....
Jan 28th 2015
& LOL @ Ye setting dude up for the okiedoke....
Jan 28th 2015
RE: you right...timberland just pulled from collaboration (swipe)
Jan 28th 2015
      oh WOW. this should be getting more spins....
Jan 29th 2015
wow, ive heard it all
Jan 29th 2015
120. "gotdamn yall can get stuck on the most minute detail"
Jan 29th 2015
My Gal...are you ok? you doing 15much here...
Jan 29th 2015
      nothing wrong with me connecting the dots
Jan 29th 2015
      The word hoe in a joke on a message board post
Jan 29th 2015
           Yeah and no
Jan 29th 2015
                yep
Jan 29th 2015
      smh, I think you need to...
Jan 29th 2015
           the joke is you using the word think