Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12709660

Subject: "Talk me out of quitting my job." Previous topic | Next topic
Cold Truth
Member since Jan 28th 2004
44809 posts
Mon Jan-26-15 03:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Talk me out of quitting my job."
Mon Jan-26-15 03:08 PM by Cold Truth

Or, just talk to me while I’m trying to keep my composure since I know I'm not quitting shit, at least not until this other thing pops off.

I requested a transfer at work based on a hardship. My wife got a promotion and changed offices. Now we’re in opposite directions with one car. Plus, she’s 6 months pregnant and those doctor’s appointments are going to increase in a month. She’s also finishing up her bachelor’s at night right now.

Anyhow, transfer denied. Long and short, the reasons given don’t align with what I know to be true from outside sources that are literally in position to know, and I happen to know for a fact that the three offices I requested need workers and have the space. I also know that transfers can be made based on hardships. The logistics of it all demand that either I drop off my wife before her office even opens or have her driving back and forth each way every single day, literally doubling our fuel expenses, and ensuring she’ll be missing most of at least one of her classes two days a week. Plus, you know, there’s a three year old who will wind up having 13.5 hour days will be a newborn in this mix here in three months.

I’ve been told that no, ‘the department’ is not accepting transfers based on a hardship and I’ll just have to wait and see if there’s a need when my number comes up (like 14-15 on each respective wait list). Personally, I think my director is holding a grudge because I pulled his card awhile back in a dispute with a supervisor, went over his head and put an awful lot of things on blast to his boss. This whole thing started as me being perceived as a disciplinary problem, but I produced several letters from coworkers that not only echoed my own protests, but went much further in showing how bad and how long this toxic environment was allowed to fester in some pretty damning ways.

Anyhow, as a result, work conditions in our office changed dramatically for several people. Some magically people got promotions within days where they were basically being bullied and put into pressure cooker situations as of the day I brought all this shit up. Others got the supervisor transfers they repeatedly requested but were previously rejected. Shit, even the supervisors changed their tune in a lot of ways. Pretty much everything that I called out and reported got changed in some way. I even made myself above reproach in the process. I stopped getting harassed by my supervisor all day for shit she could have just looked up, and wonder of wonders, I got more work done, more accurately. I also have a fantastic relationship with my current supervisor. If all the issues I “whined” about- in his words- led to changes that improved not just my situation, but that of other coworkers individually and collectively, that fucking SCREAMS that not only were my issues legit, but that *he* was fucking up prior to me getting aggy over it. It also further cements the fact that that those changes (for the better) would not have been made without my “whining”.

Since I’ve got information from other sources (I.E, supervisors and managers in all three offices I’ve requested transfer to) that clearly tell a different story and one manager who is pretty sure he’s lying and flat out saying no just to say no, I’m kind of pissed because there’s no good reason to deny the transfer.

I know. Perhaps my wife should have held off school this semester. My job didn’t decide to have a second child. Nobody forced her to take the promotion. We could just scrimp and save for another vehicle. To all of that, I say fuck that. I can live with being told no if there’s really just no way to accommodate it, if I haven’t personally witnessed convenient transfers (among other perks) and general flexibility given to people who kiss the right asses (ahem: his) enough. When there’s no real reason other than some guy flexing because he can though? That’s a touch pill to swallow. In years past I think I’d be packing up boxes and getting walked the fuck out right now after burning this bridge to the ground, but you can’t really do that shit with a wife and kids in the mix. Plus, you know, scorched earth policy hasn’t really worked out for me. Being pissed doesn't necessarily mean I'm right and being right won't validate anything short of submission.

I do have one friend who is a manager looking into it from another office, but she’s a step below this dude in rank. She’s well known and well liked but I doubt she has any actual power to pull any real strings.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Talk me out of quitting my job. [View all] , Cold Truth, Mon Jan-26-15 03:05 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
it's hard to cosign quitting your job when ya wife is 6 months pregnant....
Jan 26th 2015
I’m not asking for cosigns or anything of the sort.
Jan 26th 2015
      your wife is pregnant so don't quit your job. what...there ain't no more...
Jan 26th 2015
           You're kind of missing the overarching point, but go ahead and cook
Jan 26th 2015
                but you asked us???
Jan 26th 2015
                     Odd statement if you actually read the post
Jan 26th 2015
                          defintely didnt read all of that..
Jan 26th 2015
                               So shut the fuck up then.
Jan 26th 2015
                                    how about... NO.
Jan 27th 2015
                                         I'm not angry. You're just an obsessive twit.
Jan 27th 2015
Damn, That's Tough
Jan 26th 2015
To Rex's point
Jan 26th 2015
^^^^^
Jan 26th 2015
My manager friend is doing some research on it. She thinks he's lying
Jan 26th 2015
      Ah, ok...a few intangilbles there I wasn't aware of
Jan 27th 2015
           Great suggestion.
Jan 27th 2015
I tried that and it backfired instantly.
Jan 26th 2015
Rent a car on the days she has Doc Appts and tough it out until other
Jan 26th 2015
don't do it...
Jan 26th 2015
Ya got bills, nigga! BILLS!!!
Jan 26th 2015
Fuck bills. I pull out pics of my wife and daughter.
Jan 26th 2015
      You must be on the verge of something awesome.
Jan 27th 2015
no bus/train option?
Jan 26th 2015
he's prolly saying no just to say no...
Jan 26th 2015
making life decisions based on emotion is dangerous
Jan 26th 2015
Agreed and that's why I made the post.
Jan 26th 2015
FMLA
Jan 26th 2015
Interesting option. I think that would only work for her though
Jan 26th 2015
It's a pain in the ass to do what you have to do with a job
Jan 26th 2015
your family is more important than your ego.
Jan 26th 2015
It's not an ego thing . It's a keeping my emotions in check thing.
Jan 26th 2015
      That is your ego, boss.
Jan 26th 2015
           Not sure if you know what an ego is or not.
Jan 26th 2015
hustle harder
Jan 26th 2015
lol like I don't know a typical day for the working poor.
Jan 26th 2015
can you get another car?
Jan 26th 2015
I'm not going to quit... but damn I felt like burning a few bridges.
Jan 26th 2015
No, not happening on my end. Stay with it as long as possible.
Jan 26th 2015
That's what's up. Thanks for the support.
Jan 26th 2015
just get a cheap car
Jan 26th 2015
Sorry to hear about this
Jan 27th 2015
Who denied the request?
Jan 27th 2015
the people need you.
Jan 27th 2015
this post is pathetic. the real issue is your hot-headedness.
Jan 27th 2015
knock it off lol
Jan 27th 2015
Like for real. He pops up like Beetlejuice whenever I'm near
Jan 27th 2015
Dying isn't hard to do. Get to work on making that happen.
Jan 27th 2015
Can't we all just get along?
Jan 27th 2015
      There's no switch to turn a deadzombie back into a human
Jan 27th 2015
I just changed my schedule from 9 hour days to 8 hour days.
Jan 27th 2015
That's What Good Dudes Do
Jan 27th 2015
Thanks.
Jan 27th 2015
I hope this all works out
Jan 27th 2015
      Much appreciated.
Jan 27th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12709660 Previous topic | Next topic