Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12696182

Subject: "Haiti’s unsung grassroots heroes do the work of rebuilding communities" Previous topic | Next topic
madwriter
Charter member
12234 posts
Mon Jan-12-15 01:53 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
5. "Haiti’s unsung grassroots heroes do the work of rebuilding communities"
In response to In response to 0

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in-sight/wp/2015/01/12/saving-themselves-haitis-unsung-grassroots-heroes-do-the-work-of-rebuilding-communities/

Today marks the five-year anniversary of the deadly earthquake that devastated Haiti, killing over 300,000 people and nearly leveling an entire country’s infrastructure. The country continues to grapple with rebuilding itself even after over $12 billion in aid was pledged by over 50 countries, 80 percent of which has been distributed, according to the United Nations.

In 2014, photographer Felipe Jacome began taking portraits of Haiti’s change makers, taking a closer look at local leaders and grassroots organizations trying to bring change to their communities, often with very little resources in the face of tremendous hardships.

“Over past the four years working as a documentary photographer in Haiti, I have encountered a remarkable amount of stories of individuals and grassroots organizations creating positive change,” Jacome tells In Sight. “The types of initiatives range widely as they tackle the long list of Haiti’s illnesses. There is the story of KOFAVIV, a support group of rape survivors helping the thousands of women and children raped in the aftermath of the disaster. There is the tireless campaign of Haiti’s amputee soccer players to demand respect for the marginalized handicapped population.”

Jacome’s portrait piece seeks to highlight the stories of Haitians changing Haiti, a story sometimes overlooked by the international aid apparatus and muffled by the country’s political instability.
--------
<--------- my cousin
www.richardlouissaint.com
photobloggin' it:
http://blog.richardlouissaint.com
--------
<--------- my cousin
www.richardlouissaint.com
photobloggin' it:
http://blog.richardlouissaint.com

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Today is the fifth Anniversary of the Haiti Earthquake [View all] , madwriter, Mon Jan-12-15 12:55 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Can you give me a rough idea of the Hatian economy?
Jan 12th 2015
i'm probably the wrong person
Jan 12th 2015
5 yrs Later, majority of them billions still sitting in US accts
Jan 12th 2015
Haiti’s unsung grassroots heroes do the work of rebuilding communities
Jan 12th 2015
Baby buried by 2010 Haiti quake: See her now
Jan 12th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12696182 Previous topic | Next topic