Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12690203

Subject: "#BlackBrunchNYC Disrupts Diners To Protest Police Brutality (swipe)" Previous topic | Next topic
Kevin26_2
Member since Dec 02nd 2003
17740 posts
Mon Jan-05-15 02:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"#BlackBrunchNYC Disrupts Diners To Protest Police Brutality (swipe)"

So there's a war on black people, and the front lines are at Whole Foods and brunch places? I don't quite get it...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/05/black-brunch-disrupts-restaurants_n_6416844.html

In a seemingly new approach to demonstrating, protesters in New York interrupted patrons at various restaurants on Sunday to declare injustice in America and call attention to problematic policing tactics.

The event was part of a movement dubbed #BlackBrunch in which protesters purposely selected eateries across the city, or places they referred to as "white spaces," to voice their outrage over police violence against Blacks.

On Sunday, about three dozen demonstrators marched into restaurants and briefly interrupted mid-day meals as they read aloud the names of African Americans killed by police, Yahoo reports.

“There is a war on Black people in America that cannot be ignored and the Black Brunch tactic is one that is committed to interrupting ‘business as usual’ until the war against us has ended,” reads a statement written by #BlackBrunch organizers.

“Young Black leaders organized Black Brunch in response to the historic violence and unjust crimes committed against Black people in America,” the statement continues.

Some of the protests were held at popular New York City eateries including The Barking Dog, Lallisse, Maialino and Pershing Square. Meanwhile, across the country, similar protests also took place in restaurants in Oakland, California.

“We march, chant and sing together as we claim space in areas that are predominantly non-Black,” organizers wrote.

Organizers said this spin on sit-in style protests is a resistance tactic that was created by organizers in Oakland last year.

Many applauded the protests on Twitter while others weren’t too pleased with the momentary demonstration. Instead, some patrons saw the interruption as an inconvenience and subsequently expressed their frustration on social media.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

#BlackBrunchNYC Disrupts Diners To Protest Police Brutality (swipe) [View all] , Kevin26_2, Mon Jan-05-15 02:05 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
reminds me of the protest @ STL Opera House.
Jan 05th 2015
that at least included
Jan 05th 2015
      protest isn't supposed to be appropriate.
Jan 05th 2015
I haven't heard enough *feelings* about this?
Jan 05th 2015
It's not that much of a stretch.
Jan 05th 2015
how is this a good look?
Jan 05th 2015
      Who says all of those folks are liberal?
Jan 05th 2015
      the liberal white brunchers should be so upset about
Jan 05th 2015
Actually makes more sense than protesting in their own neighborhoods
Jan 05th 2015
Ex-NYPD officer posts twitter threat against Black Brunch *link*
Jan 05th 2015
and they say a database is a waste of time
Jan 05th 2015
in today's edition of Telling on Yourself
Jan 05th 2015
why is their first response almost always a threat of violence?
Jan 05th 2015
I would have only question: Is it effective?
Jan 05th 2015
We're talking about it
Jan 05th 2015
      right but did it raise awareness regarding police brutality?
Jan 05th 2015
           more importantly, did it affect change
Jan 05th 2015
Why Brunch Diners though?
Jan 05th 2015
nyc is so socially integrated i doubt anyone noticed
Jan 05th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12690203 Previous topic | Next topic