Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12689917

Subject: "i don't think so but" Previous topic | Next topic
teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Mon Jan-05-15 10:25 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "i don't think so but"
In response to In response to 0

terrorism has people afraid in general so any threat-whether it be a major event or just being mugged on the street-people would rather see dealt with using brutal force for a false sense of security

a lot more 'us vs. them' and the definition of them seems to expand every day.

i also think that white flight is a contributing factor-in NYC, you used to have to live in the city to work on the force. once that was lifted, i think that changed policing a lot. not to say that po-po were actually living IN the areas they policed but there's a familiarity that was lost and definitely more of an understanding that keeping an area safe keeps surrounding areas (where they likely live) safe.

not to say shit was all peachy but things you hear older cops say now about how these young cops aren't really being introduced to the community like they were when they started. older cops would ride them around and point things and people out and it doesn't look like these young cats are getting that. i'm sure a lot of these older guys still working were around when crack was at its worse so they likely regard the people they police as savages not worthy of interacting with which is sad.

this isn't to say that there's more brutality now. i really don't think there is-killing perhaps but i think it's just an issue of it being more high profile and with evidence that clearly backs up how unwarranted the situation was. a black man getting lumped up in custody or while being taken into custody isn't something new.

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Do you think there's more police brutality in the 2010s? [View all] , Mongo, Mon Jan-05-15 10:08 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
compared to when
Jan 05th 2015
same as its always been....possibly 'better' now
Jan 05th 2015
awareness has increased but it's as bad as it's always been. and yes,
Jan 05th 2015
I actually think there is less by some measurements.
Jan 05th 2015
Same as it ever was (c) David Byrne
Jan 05th 2015
There's probably less right now
Jan 05th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12689917 Previous topic | Next topic