Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13481159

Subject: "The Hill: Sanders introduces bill to raise minimum teacher pay" Previous topic | Next topic
Walleye
Charter member
15535 posts
Tue Mar-21-23 01:20 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
7. "The Hill: Sanders introduces bill to raise minimum teacher pay"
In response to In response to 6

-60,000 minimum
-triples federal funding for schools with lower income students
-co-sponsored by Warren and Markey
-Backed, at least in theme, by Biden

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3891898-sanders-introduces-bill-to-raise-minimum-teacher-pay-to-60000-a-year/

Sanders introduces bill to raise minimum teacher pay to $60,000 a year

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) introduced legislation on Thursday that would make the minimum pay for public school teachers in the U.S. $60,000 a year, following calls from President Biden to give teachers a raise last month.

The Pay Teachers Act of 2023, co-sponsored by a number of lawmakers including Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Ed Markey (D-Mass.), would provide states with federal funds to establish minimum teacher salaries of at least $60,000 a year. It would also triple the funding of the Title I-A program, which provides funding to schools with a high percentage of students that come from low income backgrounds.

“It is simply unacceptable that, in the richest country in the history of the world, many teachers are having to work two or three extra jobs just to make ends meet,” Sanders said in a statement. “No public school teacher in America should make less than $60,000 a year.”

The bill would also triple funding for rural education programs and prop up programs to diversify the teacher workforce.

The push from Sanders to boost public teacher pay comes after Biden included a call for raises for public educators in his State of the Union address last month.

“Any nation that out-educates is going to out-compete us,” Biden said in the speech. “Let’s give public school teachers a raise.”

Sanders has blasted the pay of public school teachers in the U.S. in the past, and cited rising levels of stress and increasing trends of teachers quitting as the reason why the federal government needed to support them.

The legislative push by Sanders has garnered the support of the National Education Association, the largest labor union in the country.

Lawmakers in the House introduced legislation late last year to increase the minimum wage of teachers in the U.S. to $60,000. The American Teacher Act, sponsored by Reps. Frederica Wilson (D-Fla.) and Jamaal Bowman (D-N.Y.), would encourage states to raise their minimum salaries for teachers through a federal grant program.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

LA teachers on strike [View all] , legsdiamond, Tue Mar-21-23 09:22 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I don't see any solutions to this schooling stuff without
Mar 21st 2023
yeah man. i know a few teachers.
Mar 21st 2023
my wife left because they forced her out
Mar 21st 2023
GOOD
Mar 21st 2023
teaching should be one of the best professions if set up right
Mar 21st 2023
I feel like if a politician ran on "upgrading teacher pay" they would...
Mar 21st 2023
I’m sure he’ll work with his colleagues on getting it passed
Mar 22nd 2023
      Awesome!
Mar 22nd 2023
you would think so
Mar 21st 2023
apparently public schooling is just a way for dirty liberals
Mar 24th 2023
Bernie disagrees with you
Mar 21st 2023
i was out there for day 1 today! 2nd strike in 4 years
Mar 21st 2023
damn
Mar 23rd 2023
yep i came up in lausd too
Mar 24th 2023
Classified Staff gets overlooked so much
Mar 23rd 2023
      yessir... and good to see you around these parts haha.
Mar 24th 2023

Lobby General Discussion topic #13481159 Previous topic | Next topic