Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13258013

Subject: "Hundreds of students, 1st time beefing about a grade" Previous topic | Next topic
Walleye
Charter member
15527 posts
Mon May-14-18 09:48 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Hundreds of students, 1st time beefing about a grade"

First time teaching an 8am class this past semester, and three students in particular had a tough time making it to class. They kind of realized this near the end of the semester and started bargaining with me. I'm absurdly soft when it comes to stuff like this, because being a hard-ass in this particular context is actually a lot of work. So, I let them bargain, primarily turning in a bunch of late work (with penalty) as long as they got it to me with enough time to evaluate before final grades were due.

One of the above students took this as a real come to Jesus moment and showed up without fail after said bargaining, got all of his stuff to me when he said he would, and redeemed himself with a "C" in the class.

The other two kept pushing for more accomodations, which I granted or declined exactly according to my convenience. When it all shook out, one of these two ended up turning in most of his work (missing one small paper) and actually ended up with a "C" as well. The other one was missing two of the small papers and got a "D".

Yesterday, got a flurry of emails from the last student complaining about his "D". He claimed that he turned in the same amount of work as his friend and therefore deserved the same grade. Implicit in this suggestion is that he and his pal collaborated on their work, which is technically cheating and which I strongly suspected but didn't really have enough evidence to bother pursuing*. You can't make a claim to deserve an identical grade to another student unless you know your work was really similar to theirs.

Anyhow, I pointed out that he was missing two key papers, which explained his low grade. He claimed he turned them in via email, which I allowed as part of the above negotiations. I scoured my inbox and spam and trash - nothing. He then emailed me screenshots which he claimed proved he had sent them, but which actually showed that he had accidentally emailed them to himself. I called him on it, and he replied with a largely nonsensical explanation of why I was misreading the screenshots that and what basically amounted to an admission to that error and a plea for some kind of "at least I tried" help.

Blessedly, I don't have any control over my grades once they've been submitted. Even if I were inclined to give him what he wants, I don't actually have the power to do it. But I referred him to the college administration and apparently he's pursuing the matter.

Fucking... sigh. I really enjoy teaching and it makes me happy to be able to be flexible with students that are trying to fit in college classes with their regular life responsibilities. Particularly if they are taking a class like mine, that isn't tacked in a clear way to any future employment prospects. But this whole stupid mess could have been avoided if I just had a policy of inflexibility up front. Nobody asks for any special consideration. Nobody receives any special consideration. And I don't have students trying to flip my attempts to be decent back on me.

Truthfully, I don't really care whether this guy gets a "C" or a "D" in the class. So if push comes to shove, I'll definitely choose the path of least resistance. But I definitely don't like being told what to do, particularly by people who are just trying to game the system. At this point, I'm hoping that I can come up with a late-work policy going forward that:

a)helps students who genuinely need it
b)excludes students who want to take advantage
c)doesn't expose me to nonsense like this
d)doesn't require me to individually evaluate every students' excuse - which I've accidentally discovered from students who have assumed I have a hard policy on this matter means dealing with a lot of weird and unnecessarily disclosive medical information. I've gotten emails with unsolicited X-Rays before.

*if you're noticing a trend here, that I'm kind of lazy about a lot of the administrative parts of my job, then good eye. One of the more irritating thing about absurdly low adjunct wages is the relatively high compensation for college administrators - particularly when more and more of their duties seem to fall onto my plate every single year. Catching a student teaching and, honestly, failing a student at all, is a lot of paperwork and in the case of the former, meetings. I don't get paid enough to be a detective.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Hundreds of students, 1st time beefing about a grade [View all] , Walleye, Mon May-14-18 09:48 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Haha - props to you. This is why I couldn't do what you do.
May 14th 2018
Thanks! That means a lot
May 14th 2018
Set up a policy that allows flexibility, but takes out your discretion
May 14th 2018
These are all good
May 14th 2018
was your late policy upfront?
May 14th 2018
Upfront, it's "turn stuff in on time"
May 14th 2018
      RE: Upfront, it's "turn stuff in on time"
May 14th 2018
           I showed it to my wife because I couldn't believe it
May 14th 2018
Wife teaches college and HS. If students worked this hard in class
May 14th 2018
Right?!
May 14th 2018
My school had a date when all papers are due for the entire semester
May 14th 2018
I wish somebody would try to turn all their stuff in at the end lol
May 14th 2018
I'd need to mitigate it with a harsher late penalty...
May 14th 2018
wondering if dude realizes you let him slide for "collaborating" with hi...
May 14th 2018
I'm sure he does, but he running it up the chain is risky
May 14th 2018
LOL @ the screenshot emailing himself
May 14th 2018
The email scheme is common
May 14th 2018
Yep, I've seen this one a few times
May 14th 2018
I had to turn in one paper to get a C in a class.
May 14th 2018
Story ends well.
May 14th 2018
I forgot to mention this was art school
May 15th 2018
That's too much trouble, but at least it ended okay
May 14th 2018
What in the entire fuck?
May 14th 2018
      I have coworkers that fit that profile
May 14th 2018
           RE: I have coworkers that fit that profile
May 14th 2018
                Best lesson a student can get in school imho
May 14th 2018
kid better figure it out or start picking out a bridge to live under
May 14th 2018
real talk..i thought Walleye was being super generous..i remember gettin...
May 14th 2018
      In a world where student evals matter, you have to show some flexibilty
May 14th 2018
      That's true, but my student evaluations are rock solid so far
May 15th 2018
      ... that'd be totally fair
May 15th 2018
grades are easily the worst thing about teaching.
May 14th 2018
It'd be be really helpful if they listened to you
May 15th 2018
Update: This is getting incredibly boring
May 15th 2018
The tenaciousness is likely due to the acceptance that his only
May 15th 2018
      I'm desperately curious about this question
May 15th 2018
all of those professors who were dicks back in college?
May 15th 2018
Stories like this make me not miss teaching.
May 15th 2018
I'm down on it today, but I had 72 other students this semester...
May 15th 2018
Update: All done, I lost but in a way that I can live with
May 17th 2018
A friend of mine made a professor cry over late work
May 17th 2018
Holy crap that story had some twists and turns
May 17th 2018
      Yeah, it's wild
May 17th 2018
Damn it, I was hoping this kid would get his deserved D
May 17th 2018
I'm kind of bummed out too