Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13207389

Subject: "Right - but the next step is based on theological anthropology" Previous topic | Next topic
Walleye
Charter member
15535 posts
Thu Nov-09-17 02:11 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Right - but the next step is based on theological anthropology"
In response to In response to 13

>It's a debate I have with my born again christian friends who
>I find have a weird, 'Im awesome and Jesus is magic' view as
>opposed to the idea of old school Irish catholic original sin
>I grew up with.

That's extremely on-brand for Irish Catholic education, but as nasty and harsh as it is - it presupposes something hopeful that isn't present in Luther's thought: that in spite of our awfulness, we ARE capable of holiness which is brought about by grace but which we cooperate in and:

a)is our own
b)is pleasing to God

In short very short: we can BE good in the Catholic position. This is because sin is not natural to us (this can be a confusing difference because we are still born into sin in this construction, but "natural" refers to our creation in the image of God) we can, by cooperating with God's grace, be holy and please God. So, we can be saved by God's justice.

For Luther, justice was absolutely something you didn't want. We were born into sin (regardless of whether it was natural to us) and sin was our legacy. Asking God for justice means asking to be judged based on what we were - which is an objectively terrible idea in his system. Since there is no righteousness which can be properly *ours* being judged fairly means hell. Hell for me. Hell for you. Hell for everybody.

Instead, Luther sought only God's mercy. Mercy means God sees you for what you are and saves you anyhow. From his initial "simul doctrine" came a WHOLE bunch of different types of righteousness, all with the same basic thrust: that any way in which you are good is not truly yours but rather comes from Christ's sacrifice.

1. Inherent righteousness is righteousness which is internal to you. Luther said that we don't possess this in any way that effects our salvation.

2. Imputed righteousness is righteousness which is alien to us (from Christ's suffering and death on the cross) but which is given to us (freely, without merit) and we are saved based on it. Luther advocated this view. I like to think of it as a coat made of holiness. It's Jesus' coat, but he loans it to you.

3. Infused righteousness is righteousness freely given, unearned, and which we don't really cooperate with (which would be the Catholic view) but rather which becomes ours as we perform it. It's got the foundation of imputed righteousness but still doesn't want to get as fully radical as Luther did with respect to the idea that salvation is a judgement of our own action.

"Walleye, a lot of things are going to go wrong in your life that technically aren't your fault. Always remember that this doesn't make you any less of an idiot"

--Walleye's Dad

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

The Reformation (sort of) turns 500 today [View all] , Walleye, Tue Oct-31-17 10:00 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
thanks, enjoyed reading that
Oct 31st 2017
The Oberman biography on Luther is excellent
Nov 06th 2017
It's impossible to overstate Augustine's role in this
Nov 06th 2017
Really interesting stuff.
Nov 06th 2017
      "Personal" is exactly right / Luther's death
Nov 07th 2017
It's weird to think that was "only" 500 years ago.
Nov 07th 2017
Right? Luther kind of got lucky
Nov 07th 2017
How much do you think the reformation was tied to Columbus?
Nov 07th 2017
My short answer is "no"
Nov 07th 2017
      thanks! I've read 1491 and it was great
Nov 07th 2017
Is it fair to say the 95 Theses was the 50 Shades of Grey of its time?
Nov 07th 2017
Supplemental literature is an even better analogy
Nov 09th 2017
That's funny, because that was drummed into me in Catholic school
Nov 09th 2017

Lobby General Discussion topic #13207389 Previous topic | Next topic