Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13098642

Subject: "RE: NY OKP's - Help for a tourist" Previous topic | Next topic
teefiveten
Member since Oct 02nd 2008
33019 posts
Mon Nov-28-16 10:30 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
3. "RE: NY OKP's - Help for a tourist"
In response to In response to 0
Mon Nov-28-16 10:32 AM by teefiveten

>- Food spots
Food will vary. Yelp is usually pretty helpful here. If you're in the LES and like indian/vegetarian food, hit up Punjabi Deli on 1st Street and 1st Avenue. it's a hole in the wall takeout but really inexpensive and tasty

>- Best soul food spots
we've lost so many . there's a fish fry spot in the 130s in Harlem whose name escapes me. that's one option. people still fool w/ pink tea cup which is now in ft. greene but that place isn't as great as it used to be.

>- What to see in Harlem (most british guides have neglected
>here)
studio museum, maysles center if you link film

>- Performance venues - so far the Nuyorican poets cafe looks
>good
depends. tonight if you're around Littlefield in BK hosts comedian Wyatt Cenac and his weekly comedy show. its $8 and so worth it

>- Any extra things for a young couple that the guides wouldn't
>mention
if you're intersted in black art, there's a great Carrie Mae Weems exhibit in Chelsea (Jack Shainman gallery). Thursday and Friday evenings are good for gallery hopping. you may catch an opening and get some free wine.

the Met Bruer is also hosting a Kerry James Marshall exhibit which i hear is excellent

party wise, wednesday at le bain at the standard is a good move if you like house music. thursdays kind of vary. friday, louie and chan in the LES has a solid weekly with a good rotating lineup of DJs

>Extra note, i'm staying in the Lower East Side but happy to
>travel around

good place to be as a tourist. don't be a punk. come to brooklyn. you can get some faux soul food in Bed Stuy at Peaches or Peaches Hot House (if you like Fried Chicken) and you can go to Bed Vyne Brew, which is a nice local spot w/ DJs every night

oddly enough, if you're around on Saturday, Louie and Chan does a monthly UK party with Khalil from Livin Proof. It's one of my favorite parties - all UK tunes and guest DJs.

like.me
http://tinyurl.com/3z8486u

"if the children are not initiated into the village they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." - african proverb

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

NY OKP's - Help for a tourist [View all] , cal.25, Sun Nov-27-16 11:45 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: NY OKP's - Help for a tourist
Nov 28th 2016
My favorite NYC food spot to take visitors
Nov 28th 2016
Agreed
Nov 28th 2016
quintessential hole in the wall chino spot that got popular:
Nov 28th 2016
Grimaldi's Reg? Really?