Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #13044127

Subject: "NYPD cop recorded boss demanding more minority arrest" Previous topic | Next topic
legsdiamond
Member since May 05th 2011
80828 posts
Thu Jul-14-16 01:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"NYPD cop recorded boss demanding more minority arrest"

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nypd-recorded-boss-blasting-not-stopping-minorities-article-1.2710345

The NYPD cop who claimed he was successfully suppressing crime in the subways he patrolled, secretly taped his supervisors ripping into him for not stopping enough minority teenagers or writing summonses.

Officer Michael Birch was placed on special monitoring in 2011 by then commanding officer Constantin Tsachas for low activity.

Birch was excoriated by the captain for making only four arrests in a nine-month period, four stop-and-frisks in six months, and nearly half the persons he stopped for jumping turnstile were female.

The cop acknowledged that black and Hispanic teens commit most of the crimes in the subway.

NYPD cop claims he was punished for not busting minorities

"You described for me who's committing the crimes and you're not targeting those people," Tsachas complained on the tape obtained by The Daily News.
Michael Birch says he was placed on special monitoring for not stopping enough teens and minorities.
Michael Birch says he was placed on special monitoring for not stopping enough teens and minorities. (Bryan Pace/for New York Daily News)

Birch insisted that were no crimes committed in stations while he was working, but that did not satisfy his numbers-hungry boss.

"What are you doing to help me fight crime with two arrests," Tsachas said. "Other kids (younger cops) with less time (on the force) are doing a great job for me. They're taking bad guys off the street. I can't see how you're helping me with two arrests."

"You could be out there and nothing is happening in front of you," he fumed. "Another guy you could've stopped and committed a crime, you can't measure. The pro-active is not there."

NYPD capt. who ruined me for not targeting minorities promoted

NYPD officials have insisted for decades that there is no quota for summonses, arrests, or stop-and-frisk reports. Birch alleged in a lawsuit filed earlier this year in Brooklyn Federal Court that he was punished for not meeting quotas.
Captain Constantin G. Tsachas blasted Birch in a recording.
Captain Constantin G. Tsachas blasted Birch in a recording.

A lieutenant present at the sit-down told Birch that "getting one or two (stop and frisk reports) a month … I think is very easy … You have the blinders on."

Tsachas was recently promoted by Police Commissioner Bratton who dismissed any suggestion that the high-ranking cop had done anything improper.

Birch's lawsuit, which was first reported by The News, was dismissed by Federal Judge Brian Cogan because the statute of limitations had passed on many of his claims, but he is appealing the decision. His lawyer did not return a message.

TBH the fact that you're even a mod here fits squarely within Jag's narrative of OK-sanctioned aggression, bullying, and toxicity. *shrug*

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

NYPD cop recorded boss demanding more minority arrest [View all] , legsdiamond, Thu Jul-14-16 01:41 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: NYPD cop recorded boss demanding more minority arrest
Jul 14th 2016
yeah, a judge in PA got caught selling kids to prison complexes
Jul 14th 2016
RE: yeah, a judge in PA got caught selling kids to prison complexes
Jul 14th 2016
Yo but the mom who's kid died RIPPED him up and down
Jul 14th 2016
they got that from a law and order episode lol
Jul 14th 2016
FERGUSON!