Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12978553

Subject: "the end of that link though...." Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Thu Feb-25-16 08:18 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "the end of that link though...."
In response to In response to 1

swipe:

On the “new Jim Crow” front, have you seen the recent news about the mental health problems suffered by the protesters in Ferguson?1 That’s indicative of where this sort of nonpolitics as politics is overwhelmingly likely to go. When all is said and done, its only political standpoint is self-referential. I have been at meetings on campus recently where earnest activist-ist kids full of the Holy Ghost of political righteousness rise to declaim on what the “Young Activists in Ferguson” want the rest of us to do, the rules of racial and gender etiquette they want us to follow, and to demand that we all declare our willingness to follow those rules, as well as meetings where faculty babble on about the lessons of “intersectionality” we should take from this nonexistent movement, e.g., how meaningful it is that the actual authors of #blacklivesmatter are black lesbians or whatever. Of course, none of this has anything at all to do with political goals, strategies, or vision. And, as Kenneth Warren has pointed out, defenses of all this sort of purely expressive stuff as a politics invariably depend on claims about what it supposedly will enable in some future beyond the scope of strategic projection—that is, on ********calls for faith in things as yet unseen or unseeable*******. I think anti-racism is beyond useless as a politics. It is now an artifact of neoliberalism and has been for quite some time. Its inadequacies even for making sense of the carceral state are made clear by contrast with Marie Gottschalk’s new book, Caught, some of the key themes of which she articulates in a recent interview.2 As Gottschalk notes, even if all the racial disparities in criminal justice were eliminated, for example, the United States probably would still lead the world in carceralization. Anti-racism—along with anti-sexism, anti-homophobia, etc., as well as diversity as the affirmative statement of them all—is a species of a genus of social and economic justice that is utterly compatible with neoliberalism: parity in the distribution of costs and benefits among groups defined by essentialized ascriptive identities. That is what is commonly referred to as identity politics. Despite the chatter among its proponents about group celebration and recognition, the substantive ideal of identity politics is a condition in which costs and benefits and potential individual winners and losers are sorted in rough proportion to their representation in the society. A “Left” committed to this metric, in addition to identifying outrages, focuses on cleansing opportunity structures of invidious and unjust discrimination along identitarian lines within what remains a regime of increasingly ruthless upward redistribution. That is a vision that marks the ultimate triumph of Gary Becker’s utopia.

Yeah that line i starred. That's what I think I was getting to. It's easy to intellectualize it though and break it down step by step but disseminating the understanding of these dynamics is nowhere near as effective as halleluja politics. Hence your neo-liberal thread.

I'm running too but I'll be back. You always come with the quotes that hit the nail so hard on the head goes over on most

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Preachers, the black community and politics [View all] , imcvspl, Wed Feb-24-16 10:36 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
It's all 'negro management' politics
Feb 25th 2016
      Yeah I feel like it can shut the discourse down when the first reply is ...
Feb 25th 2016
I resent seeing politicians speak @ Black churches and get endorsements
Feb 25th 2016
Jesse Jackson should have officially been the last time...
Feb 25th 2016
i got no problem with the black church getting involved in politics
Feb 25th 2016
to address *any* of this we have to be VERY aware of the history
Feb 25th 2016
^^^excellent contextual breakdown
Feb 25th 2016
yup
Feb 26th 2016
Thinking about this, wondering how we move passed this dynamic.
Feb 26th 2016
Churches in general have gotten far away from the message of Christ
Feb 25th 2016
what would you say is the message of Christ? in a few words...
Feb 25th 2016
Care for the poor, care for children, care for the widowed and orphaned,
Feb 25th 2016
This isn't about Christ though n/m
Feb 25th 2016
      I guess my point is church leadership and politics don't mix
Feb 26th 2016
none should mix imho
Feb 25th 2016

Lobby General Discussion topic #12978553 Previous topic | Next topic