Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12978553

Subject: "Preachers, the black community and politics" Previous topic | Next topic
imcvspl
Member since Mar 07th 2005
42239 posts
Wed Feb-24-16 10:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Preachers, the black community and politics"
Wed Feb-24-16 10:42 PM by imcvspl

Sorry that's a bad subject line. (edit: definitely a bad one and I keep making it worse every time i try to change it so you get what you get) Not sure how to phrase it properly.

I was thinking about 'getting the black vote' and what works. Thinking how instrumental the church was in organizing back in the day. Then thinking about the oral tradition of preaching and how that relates to addressing the black community. There's probably correlation with all religious leaders but I want to pretend like we're special.

Preachers from the pulpit have always held a position of authority. They don't talk to you. They don't really explain things to you either. They tell you what is fact. Where they are effective is the way they carry their authority, to make you beieve their facts without question.

One of the key ways of doing that is creatively preaching to the choir. In this regard I mean saying the things that folk want to hear and say amen to. Its twisting words around into a digestable form that sounds like what people want to believe either about themselves or others around them. They can hear it, interpreted as fact, and make it their own.

Now I'm not saying there aren't subtlties, because there definitely are, but it goes back to the point that it's not about matters of discussion. The preacher is telling it like it is. Sister Mary in the bible study can discuss it with you further if you need, but that discussion is gonna be the facts which the preacher has presented.

******* coming back around.

Politicians talk to the black community like preachers. There's no discussion, no nuance. It's tell them what they want to hear so they can won it too. But our situation, our issues are so full of nuance that it's the discussion that's needed most. We don't need you to tell us that black lives matter, don't need you to tell us that predatory lending is decimating our communities like a contract crack epidimic.What we need is for you to ask questions and engage the conversation. Even more we need you to come to the table with the stuff we don't know. We don't need promises of what you'll do because we know they are bullshit once you get elected and something else takes priority. Come to the table and say, you know what, these are the banks that actually fucked yall over, and they were able to do it becasue of law x,y and z. We need the insight s we may not have access to, but you do. Tell us which which legislators are bonafide racists. Who's planning what to draw lines that diminish our vote.

Tell us some shit we don't know, we don't need halleluja talking points. BUT those halleluja's work because the feel good in the moment even if they don't address the breadth of the issue. Put it all in a politicians hands even though they've done nothing to show that they will follow through, and if they do that will be enough.

Sorry rambling...

Convo can go any way you want from here .

Like what came first the preacher or the pimp.

I imagine the preacher because I think of Swing Lo Sweet Chariot on the plantation. But then again you gotta know massa wasn't the only pimp on the plantation, and the pimp who was a slave, how much game did that nigga have.

OK now I've ruined a perfectly good thread.

█▆▇▅▇█▇▆▄▁▃
Big PEMFin H & z's
"I ain't no entertainer, and ain't trying to be one. I am 1 thing, a musician." � Miles

"When the music stops he falls back in the abyss."

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Preachers, the black community and politics [View all] , imcvspl, Wed Feb-24-16 10:36 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
It's all 'negro management' politics
Feb 25th 2016
the end of that link though....
Feb 25th 2016
      Yeah I feel like it can shut the discourse down when the first reply is ...
Feb 25th 2016
I resent seeing politicians speak @ Black churches and get endorsements
Feb 25th 2016
Jesse Jackson should have officially been the last time...
Feb 25th 2016
i got no problem with the black church getting involved in politics
Feb 25th 2016
to address *any* of this we have to be VERY aware of the history
Feb 25th 2016
^^^excellent contextual breakdown
Feb 25th 2016
yup
Feb 26th 2016
Thinking about this, wondering how we move passed this dynamic.
Feb 26th 2016
Churches in general have gotten far away from the message of Christ
Feb 25th 2016
what would you say is the message of Christ? in a few words...
Feb 25th 2016
Care for the poor, care for children, care for the widowed and orphaned,
Feb 25th 2016
This isn't about Christ though n/m
Feb 25th 2016
      I guess my point is church leadership and politics don't mix
Feb 26th 2016
none should mix imho
Feb 25th 2016

Lobby General Discussion topic #12978553 Previous topic | Next topic