Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12934852

Subject: "What changes are needed to effectively prosecute police violence?" Previous topic | Next topic
veritas
Member since Sep 16th 2002
37201 posts
Wed Nov-25-15 11:02 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What changes are needed to effectively prosecute police violence?"

This is a question I've pondered for some time now and I think there are some steps (some easy, some difficult) which will help.

I know my audience so I'm expecting a number of "nothing will change until the entire racist power structure is overthrown" responses, and I don't necessarily disagree, but ideally this post is more about evolutionary, not revolutionary changes.

There are a whole lot of (political, racial, etc.) reasons police don't get prosecuted effectively, but I think the most important one is that on a day to day basis police and prosecutors work pretty closely together.

Put differently, prosecutors are in complete reliance on police to make their cases and get their convictions. It's something of a symbiotic relationship.

That's why my #1 solution is an independent state office of police prosecution that a) relies on investigators that are completely distinct from day to day police operations and b) relies on prosecutors who ONLY prosecute police.

If we remove the relationship between prosecutors and police to the greatest extent possible, i think we remove a huge disincentive that prosecutors currently have in going after police.

That's my most positive contribution to a solution and I'm happy to hear criticisms of that idea and hopefully a number of other ideas that could potentially be put in place to curb this problem.

i still blame hip-hop.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

What changes are needed to effectively prosecute police violence? [View all] , veritas, Wed Nov-25-15 11:02 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
People have to care.
Nov 25th 2015
I was thinking about this morning...I haven't worked this through mental...
Nov 25th 2015
^^^I can roll with this
Nov 25th 2015
insurance coverage is a great idea
Nov 25th 2015
hmm i don't know the law in this area well enough to know
Nov 25th 2015
yeah i'm not sure about the practicality either and i haven't thought ab...
Nov 25th 2015
i like your thought pattern
Nov 25th 2015
Cenario 2016
Nov 25th 2015
Reduce the power of the police unions, but *this* is the real answer:
Nov 25th 2015
basically...
Nov 25th 2015
White supremacy as a mindset has to disappear from the police
Nov 25th 2015
i like your #1 suggestion. that's where it starts
Nov 25th 2015
Lol
Nov 25th 2015
To piggyback off #1, id also like to see HEAVY consequences for cops
Nov 25th 2015
no doubt. the blue wall has to go.
Nov 25th 2015
      Easier said than done, because of the nature of the job almost all...
Nov 25th 2015
independent doesn't mean unbiased......
Nov 25th 2015
that's number 6
Nov 25th 2015
Police murders should be federal, not state crime.
Nov 25th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12934852 Previous topic | Next topic