Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12894125

Subject: "Bratton: Suspect loooked like Blake's twin brother" Previous topic | Next topic
Cenario
Member since Aug 24th 2005
59254 posts
Thu Sep-10-15 12:32 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
14. "Bratton: Suspect loooked like Blake's twin brother"
In response to In response to 0

Caseone, I hope you ain't visiting nyc any time soon.

Sheeit, i work right across the street from Grand Central...that coulda been me.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/11/nyregion/james-blake-new-york-police-officer.html

The New York Police Department commissioner apologized on Thursday for the mistaken arrest of James Blake, a retired top-10 professional tennis player, who said he was slammed to the ground outside his hotel in Midtown Manhattan.

The commissioner, William J. Bratton, said he wanted “to extend a personal apology’’ to Mr. Blake.

The officer who detained Mr. Blake, who is biracial, has been placed on desk duty. Mr. Bratton expressed concern about “the inappropriateness of the amount of force that was used during the arrest.”

An initial review of video evidence of the arrest, Mr. Bratton said, led him to believe that it may not have been appropriate.

Mr. Blake said he was slammed to the ground by a police officer outside his hotel on Wednesday and detained for 15 minutes after being mistaken for a suspect in an investigation of possible credit card fraud.

A team of officers, all of whom were white, approached Mr. Blake after a courier identified him as having fraudulently bought merchandise, police officials said.

The Police Department’s decision to place the officer on desk duty was a tacit acknowledgment that video of the encounter, which has been reviewed by investigators, raised questions about the officer’s actions.

The episode immediately drew criticism at a time when officers’ tactics are under withering scrutiny across the country, and police agencies and elected officials are trying to address concerns about how officers treat black people.

Mr. Blake, 35, whose mother is white and whose father was black, said he had cuts and bruises as a result of the encounter. He was in New York to make appearances for corporate sponsors at the United States Open on Wednesday when he said he left the Grand Hyatt New York on East 42nd Street and was accosted by a plainclothes officer.

“I was standing there doing nothing — not running, not resisting, in fact smiling,” Mr. Blake said on Thursday morning in an interview with ABC News. Then, he said, an officer “picked me up and body slammed me and put me on the ground and told me to turn over and shut my mouth, and put the cuffs on me.”

Mr. Blake, who retired two years ago, said the officer who pushed him to the ground never identified himself and was not wearing a badge that was visible.

The police commissioner, William J. Bratton, speaking on CNN on Thursday morning, rejected the notion that race was a factor in the misidentification of Mr. Blake.

“Let’s put that nonsense to rest right now,” Mr. Bratton said. “Race has nothing to do with this.”

The commissioner said that the police had a photograph of a suspect in the credit card fraud investigation, and that the man “looks like the twin brother of Mr. Blake.”

The officers who detained Mr. Blake acted on information from someone at the hotel who identified him as having bought a phone with false credit card information, Mr. Bratton said. The Police Department placed one officer on modified assignment, or desk duty, after reviewing video of the episode.

Advertisement

Continue reading the main story
Advertisement

Continue reading the main story
Mr. Bratton also said that investigators had been trying to speak to Mr. Blake at his hotel, without success, and that they would try to reach him at the Open on Thursday.

Mr. Blake, speaking on ABC, denied that anyone from the Police Department had tried to contact him and asked for an apology and an explanation for the officers’ behavior.

Mr. Blake said he immediately told the officers he would cooperate in order to avoid a miscommunication. He said he felt “lucky” that he did not happen to show any signs of resisting as the officer rushed toward him.

“Instead of having a little bruise on my leg, I might have some broken bones or some actual injuries, because it didn’t seem like he was slowing down and he was going to continue that tackle,” Mr. Blake said.

He said he was speaking out to “let people know that this happens too often, and most of the time it’s not to someone like me.”

Plainclothes officers were at the hotel on Wednesday investigating a ring believed to be using fraudulent credit cards to buy cellphones, according to an official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the internal investigation into the episode involving Mr. Blake was continuing.

As part of the credit card investigation, the police had a private service deliver phones to a suspect at the hotel, the official said. Once the delivery took place, the suspect was arrested, the official said.

The delivery person then pointed out to the police two other people in the lobby to whom he said he had delivered phones a day earlier.

At that point, the official said, the officers “detained those two people as well.” One was Mr. Blake.

He was released after a retired police officer recognized him.

-The Knicks’ coaching search still includes a lone frontrunner, Kurt Rambis, whose qualifications for the position include a strong relationship with Jackson and a willingness to take the job.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Tennis Great James Blake meets NYPD (swipe) [View all] , Cenario, Thu Sep-10-15 09:12 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Just replace "Sucker" with "Nigger" in this video
Sep 10th 2015
I instantly thought of the Thabo Sefalosha (sp?) incident
Sep 10th 2015
the chargers got dropped for pero. Apparently, he was arrested bc he
Sep 10th 2015
      I knew Pero got charged because
Sep 10th 2015
Tennis Great?
Sep 10th 2015
that was block-headed of you
Sep 10th 2015
He didn't die asshole
Sep 10th 2015
      children...
Sep 14th 2015
i have no idea how good he was...just getting my media headline on
Sep 10th 2015
does it matter though?
Sep 10th 2015
      it doesn't matter so just let them talk about what they wanna talk about
Sep 10th 2015
i think he made it to top ten...he was decent but could never win a
Sep 10th 2015
lmao thats where i got stuck at. blake was fun to watch tho.
Sep 10th 2015
great to look at
Sep 10th 2015
Yeah you're probably way better than him
Sep 10th 2015
LOL, all that for credit card fraud?
Sep 10th 2015
right, like was the suspect they were looking for armed and dangerous?
Sep 10th 2015
Biggest gang in NY is the NYPD
Sep 10th 2015
Thug...Cops Acted Accordingly
Sep 10th 2015
b, b, but Rex...
Sep 10th 2015
LOL...Missed that Post
Sep 10th 2015
That Blake thug had it coming!! #SupportOurCops #ObamaHatesThePolice
Sep 14th 2015
*wrong post*
Sep 10th 2015
He must have been walking like a Thug.
Sep 10th 2015
Video
Sep 11th 2015
They need to let ol' boy lose in a Wall Street boardroom...
Sep 13th 2015
Some people are stupid, stupid assholes
Sep 13th 2015
A family of racists will act accordingly.
Sep 13th 2015
Black men are -by far- the main victims of gun violence in this country
Sep 14th 2015
hes is a black man worried he's going to be shot everyday
Sep 14th 2015
Sounds like it's time to leave NY.
Sep 13th 2015
Sort of off topic, but on topic at the same time.
Sep 14th 2015
A couple links:
Sep 14th 2015
Thanks for the links.
Sep 14th 2015
Organised Policing I believe began in both the south and NY
Sep 14th 2015
Didn't the police do Dinkins in??
Sep 14th 2015
nyc is a shitty place to be black
Sep 14th 2015
"Great"? Hell nah.
Sep 14th 2015
you mad late.
Sep 14th 2015
Am I f'd up for thinking James Blake look like he wouldn't be giving an ...
Sep 14th 2015
define 'wouldn't be giving an ish'
Sep 14th 2015
nope
Sep 14th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12894125 Previous topic | Next topic