Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby General Discussion topic #12776354

Subject: "Things I've learned about grass" Previous topic | Next topic
spenzalii
Member since Jan 02nd 2004
10989 posts
Thu Apr-09-15 02:41 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
14. "Things I've learned about grass"
In response to In response to 13

1. Visit your local nursery instead of the big box stores. It's not just for some of the specialized product they have, but the people that work there. They generally know more about what you're trying to plant and what will grow in your region than your local guy at Home Depot. Since there has been a big push to keep chemicals out of the Chesapeake Bay, I've tried to go organic on my grass and plants as much as I can. I've become a pretty big fan of using compost or LeafGro as fertilizer. Takes longer and is harder than using a drop spreader, but it really helps the soil out, breaking up clay and restoring organic material that the grass can feed on. Talking to some of the folks at the nursery pointed me in the right direction.

2. Never cut it too short. I've got a mix of rye and fescue out back, and try not to cut it lower than 3 inches most of the year. When I was a kid, I'd drop the mower almost to the ground and cut it so I wouldn't have to keep doing it. Now that I know better, that's never gonna happen again. Depending on your region and what kind of grass you have, your nursery can tell you what the recommended cutting height is. Another benefit to not cutting it too low is weed prevention. If the grass is at the correct height, the weeds won't have the room or sun to grow, so the grass will take care of itself

3. Plan to put in some work. Maintaining the grass isn't too bad. Make sure it's cut properly, feed it (a nice feeding in the spring and a big feed in the fall is best out here) and make sure you water it properly (best in the morning, never when the sun is burning high and not in the evening if it can be avoided). Now, if your grass has seen better days you have to do more. Planting grass in the late spring/early fall is your best bet. If you plant in the spring, the summer heat will give that new grass a beating and it may not survive. Planting between late August and early September gives the grass chance to establish itself and set up roots. It will stop growing in the winter and be ready to roll in the spring, giving the roots time to grow deeper and stand a far better chance for the summer heat. For packed soil or clay, you likely will need to have it core aerated. Depending on the size of your yard, you can do it yourself or rent a machine. If there's a build up of thatch (a layer of dead grass and leaves that haven't decomposed) you need to remove that with a dethatching rake (I call it a danger rake, as the blades on that thing are super sharp) before spreading your new seed. Again, depending on the size of the yard, you can do it manually (which is HARD work, believe me) or rent a machine. Clay can be broken up with a soil conditioner or compost. Your nursery can point you the right way

4. It takes time. Like any living thing, grass takes time to grow, so you need to run a long game on your lawn. Plan on at least a year for new seed to really take hold and get strong enough to last (though you will see results much sooner, provided it is fed and watered correctly). Save the major repair work for the fall. It will be worth it.

Now, I don't want to sound like I'm hating on Scotts, Pennington, The Rebels, etc that you can easily pick up anywhere, nor am I on a high horse saying organic is the only way to go . If that's what you can find, great. But I highly recommend going to a nursery and talking with some of the folks there. Some of their products may work better for your yard, others, you may pass on. But pick their brain and they can help you come up with a plan.

For mulch, I usually go with shredded hardwood or pine fines when I can find them. I used the colored mulch one year and it faded too quickly to justify using it again. Here is another place going to the nursery can help. Most of your stores only have the 2 cu. ft. bags. The nursery usually has 3 cu. ft bags for the same price or pretty close. More for less. That said, in my front area I'm probably going to switch to rubber mulch. It's more expensive, but the space I'm covering isn't as big, and I shouldn't have to redo it for another 10 years

<-- Dave Thomas knows what's up...

Jay: Look here homie, any nigga can get a hit record. This here is about respect.
Game: Like Gladys Knight.
Jay: Aretha Franklin.
Game: Word, I like her too.
Jay: Nigga...

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Home Repairs, Landscaping, Home Improvements [View all] , ShinobiShaw, Thu Apr-09-15 10:41 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I'm just going to re-do some art in my house. I wanted to buy a new HDTV
Apr 09th 2015
hiding that seam in the ceiling is tough
Apr 09th 2015
Patches aren't bad
Apr 09th 2015
Yeah that was the other thing I was afraid of.
Apr 09th 2015
I'm fairly handy.... the only thing i don't KNOW is electrical
Apr 09th 2015
i just patched a hole in a wall today breh
Apr 09th 2015
youtube has helped me
Apr 09th 2015
yeah man
Apr 09th 2015
Youtube can be a godsend sometimes
Apr 09th 2015
Grass, grass and mulch
Apr 09th 2015
fuck you green ass grass...
Apr 09th 2015
shit! can you do my yard?
Apr 09th 2015
I've given up on grass
Apr 09th 2015
      I love grass & understand most of that but
Apr 09th 2015
           OK Farmer Joe. That's an entirely different proposition
Apr 09th 2015
any good websites to read up on this stuff?
Apr 09th 2015
      Do a search on How To Overseed Your Lawn
Apr 10th 2015
           perfect, thanks.
Apr 10th 2015
Interior I've got a few projects
Apr 09th 2015
Do yall wash yall houses, though???
Apr 09th 2015
my brother inlaw power washed my house a few months ago
Apr 09th 2015
yeah, I do mine once a year in the summer
Apr 10th 2015
my dad's house is wood but he washes the house once every few years.
Apr 10th 2015
my kinda post! I need help
Apr 10th 2015
How steep is the slope?
Apr 10th 2015

Lobby General Discussion topic #12776354 Previous topic | Next topic