Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #186148

Subject: "The Roots/Common @ The Shrine Chicago" Previous topic | Next topic
EAS
Charter member
1702 posts
Sun Sep-13-09 02:28 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Roots/Common @ The Shrine Chicago"

Must say, didn't think we would get in but we did and had a really good time. This was my first time seeing The Roots perform live and it was great. My wife and I was amazed at Thought's breath control because dude went on, for what it seemed forever, without pausing for a breath once. I was kinda hoping they would do "Rising Up" but I guess we'll just have to catch them the next time they come through.
Common did his thing and the crowd went crazy when he did "I Used to Love H.E.R.". Wasn't expecting that one, I thought he was only going to do his more recent stuff and "The Light".
Zoe Kravitz and the other act (I can't think of his name right now) did well. Not really rock fans but we really enjoyed their sets.
Jeremih is very talented. I never really paid attention to his songs on the radio, but I was impressed with his live act. I thought the energy he brought to the stage was positive and his act was very solid. I'm glad he came through and wish much success to the Chi-town native.
The biggest surprise of the night was when Heavy D came out. He did a few of his classics as well as some of the newer stuff off his reggae album.
The show at The Shrine was fun and I really like the club set up. The stage is right there and highly elevated (kinda like Wild Hare). Definitely worth many return visits.

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

The Roots/Common @ The Shrine Chicago [View all] , EAS, Sun Sep-13-09 02:28 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
???
Sep 16th 2009

Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #186148 Previous topic | Next topic