Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okayplayer News Discussion topic #181226

Subject: "Let me get this out of the way..." Previous topic | Next topic
Scope
Member since Mar 17th 2006
136 posts
Mon Dec-08-08 03:58 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
2. "Let me get this out of the way..."
In response to In response to 0

...since I know how conversations usually go on here.

Tipping Point and Things Fall Apart are two of my top albums of all time. Phren, DYWM, and Organix aren't on my GOAT list, but they're damn good too. Additonally, I've seen the Roots live more times than I can count and many of those shows rank among the best concert experiences of my life.

The Roots could never do anything else again and they've already given a ton to me and other fans. Geffen dropped the ball horribly on Tipping Point and they've never gotten their due, so I'm glad to see them get cash and attention even when I am not necessarily thrilled with the reasons behind it.

That being said, the last two albums were way sub par and felt rushed. I hope they got paid, but I found the songs disappointing. It's also going to be disappointing if they stop touring to be Jimmy Fallon's house band. Not only will I miss seeing their live shows, but I also can't imagine anything cool or creative coming out of any project attached to Jimmy Fallon. This is not like when The Roots and others appeared on Chapelle's Show. Dave is a genius and let the bands on his show play their music and participate in some funny sketches. Jimmy Fallon, on the other hand, has never done anything good or remotely funny. I can't imagine anything good will come out of this partnership from a longtime fan's perspective (hell, even if he let them play good stuff on the show and they did hilarious skits it would be hard to imagine any tv show being worth losing out on all future tours).

Like I said though, good for them if this means they finally make serious bank and get wider exposure. I just hope that they find a way to still do some touring if this rumor is true*.

*I didn't see the video that spawned this rumor, but I'm assuming it's true because of the silence on the boards re: this subject

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

Sorry if I have missed this big time but Jimmy Fallon... [View all] , Ranga, Mon Dec-08-08 03:00 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Sorry if I have missed this big time but Jimmy Fallon...
Dec 08th 2008
I'm glad you're as distraught as I am
Dec 08th 2008
      RE: I'm glad you're as distraught as I am
Dec 08th 2008
           RE: I'm glad you're as distraught as I am
Dec 08th 2008
                jeez
Dec 08th 2008
patience, grasshopper
Dec 08th 2008
RE: patience, grasshopper