Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music R.I.P. J DILLA (1974 - 2006) topic #2452

Subject: "A small Dilla Tribute/ review of Donuts i wrote for my college paper" Previous topic | Next topic
dro
Charter member
7201 posts
Fri Feb-24-06 03:07 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"A small Dilla Tribute/ review of Donuts i wrote for my college paper"
Fri Feb-24-06 03:11 PM by dro

we could pick what cds to review this week, so i knew i had to write this. and i didn't mention no light drums, neither. lol. here you go:

J Dilla
Donuts
Stones Throw
Rating: 5 out of 5

Hip Hop Master Spins his Last Track

By Michael Drohan

Two weeks ago, the hip hop community was hit hard, twice, and by the same man. On Tuesday, legendary/genius/godlike/words-cannot-describe producer J Dilla aka Jay Dee (real name James Yancy) released Donuts. On Friday, he died of Lupus, a disease he had been battling for years.

Now, you might be wondering who Dilla was. True, Jay Dee didn’t get as much spotlight as some other producers like the Neptunes, Kanye West, or Just Blaze. But chances are, you the reader are a college student, and as such, you or one of your friends is an underground hip hop fan, and your favorite artists probably include A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Common, Mos Def, The Roots, Erykah Badu, D’angelo, or Slum Village. If so, you’ve heard Dilla’s amazing work.

What set Jay Dee apart from other producers is his amazing attention to detail and above all else, his love for music. Its been said he would stay in the studio for days, not eating nor sleeping, trying to perfect his work. Dilla’s beats are more than just a sped up vocal sample and pounding bass. The vocal samples he chooses are often from classic soul songs, which he rarely alters the speed of, in order to preserve their original beauty. His expertise really lies in his ability to chop samples, and make his own original music with elements of someone else’s, a feat that seems impossible, but one that Dilla made look easy.

This originality is what Donuts is all about. While this album is not recommended for casual hip hop fans (as it is a collection of 31 instrumental tracks, with only one clocking in at over two minutes), if you are a beat-construction scholar, you’ll find a lot to like here. Dilla’s beats are spiraling, often with a one or two second vocal or horn sample looped over and over, with more vocals layered on top. The listener gets caught up in the beat, and will be surprised at witnessing just what a man with a drum machine, computer, and crazy vision is capable of.

The world may never truly know or appreciate J Dilla’s work. The man was taken far too soon (he was 32), and a blinding light in hip hop was shut off forever. While Donuts is a prime example of his greatness, it does not seem like a fitting swan song. If you are inspired to check out some of the man’s work, Donuts may not be the place to start. Instead, look to Q-Tip’s Amplified or Common’s Like Water For Chocolate. Even though James Yancy is no longer with us, we will always have his music to look to for hope and inspiration.

Bottom line: Although not for casual hip hop fans, J Dilla’s last album is a great example of his genius beat-making talents. Rest in peace.

peace
mike

http://theonlyblogthatmatters.wordpress.com
http://www.last.fm/user/mdrohan/

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

A small Dilla Tribute/ review of Donuts i wrote for my college paper [View all] , dro, Fri Feb-24-06 03:07 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
nice review man
Mar 03rd 2006

Lobby Make The Music R.I.P. J DILLA (1974 - 2006) topic #2452 Previous topic | Next topic