Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Make The Music topic #18224

Subject: "Seriously what do you pan to do?Because ..." Previous topic | Next topic
Sergio Kara
Member since Jan 29th 2005
134 posts
Fri Nov-17-06 01:18 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
9. "Seriously what do you pan to do?Because ..."
In response to In response to 0

You've got to understand that music is a real language by itself with his codes and rules.

If you plan to just be a beat maker(making beats is in fact program drums patterns over a sample),you don't need it because you're not a composer,you don't create music,you remix something who does exist already.So you're limitated to hip hop and production(which comes after the composition)

But if you plan to be a composer,so create music of your mind(like Stevie lol),you need to learn musical theory and to play an instrument(I suggest piano,which is great for composing because of the polyphony),then you'll enter to a all different world:MUSIC,rich music not based on samples and loops.You'll know the language and you'll really express yourself,your vision of music(it's very important to have an identity in your music and in your sound).

After that you'll learn how to produce.

But great production with wack composing don't make great songs in fact your ears are flatted by the sounds but not by the music itself,for example Timbaland.

But great composition with great production:wow for example Pink Floyd or the beatles,more recently the Neptunes on NERD or on some Kelis:"Rolling through the hood" is a perfect example,but to understand what I'm talking about you've got to know about music and be able to identify the chords changes,the subtility of the play on keys...or listen to Off the wall,"I can't help it" is a strong example too,or try to see this video on youtube about frontin' played on piano,you'll understand that's a great song because of the different levels of composing:melodies and harmonies:you'll understand that the vocals harmonies are great too and in fact that's a jazz song.

So if you plan to make songs and not beats you have to learn and play.

Tell me what you think about it.

Many Love...........

www.myspace.com/many_love

Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote

do i need musical theory to make beats? [View all] , dawsonallen, Mon Nov-13-06 12:20 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
you need to know at least how to lay down a rhythym
Nov 13th 2006
RE: do i need musical theory to make beats?
Nov 13th 2006
you need the type of theory that can be picked up from listening.
Nov 13th 2006
By and large, you need some theory to make music.
Nov 13th 2006
imma put it like this...
Nov 13th 2006
save your money
Nov 13th 2006
lol
Nov 16th 2006
You need to have vision.
Nov 16th 2006
how is a beatmaker not a composer? you on that rockism.
Jan 18th 2008
disregard just about all of this n/m
Jan 18th 2008
Nov 17th 2006
^ to spice up the front page
Jan 18th 2008
lol
Jan 18th 2008
      its 07/08...
Jan 18th 2008
      LOL so true!
Jan 19th 2008
      dont know why i find you avy erotic
Jan 19th 2008
           not at all family.
Jan 19th 2008
                hahaha ok then im cool (c)
Jan 19th 2008
Jan 22nd 2008
No, but theoretical knowledge will go a long way once you learn to apply...
Jan 23rd 2008

Lobby Make The Music topic #18224 Previous topic | Next topic