Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #7516

Subject: "Mere mention of Yi Yi always puts a smile on my face" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Mynoriti
Charter member
38818 posts
Sun Aug-31-03 06:19 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
10. "Mere mention of Yi Yi always puts a smile on my face"
In response to In response to 0

I'm in love with this movie.

Random thoughts...

Like ricky already said it's definitely a film about the choices we make and as Ellipsis alluded to, even the most seemingly insignifcant choice can have a tremendous impact on many peoples lives.

Ting Ting forgets to take out the garbage so her grandmother decides to do it for her and we see the results. The family (as well as the viewer) are left to speculate whether she merely collapsed, tripped over something or was even hit by a car. We'll never know what happened and with good reason. If the family doesn't know how it happened then why should we?

Ah Di like so many others equates happiness with money. Even when he's talking to his mother, he's not talking about his wife or unborn child. He's discussing his financial success. As for his near death experience, It is never actually revealed to us if it was a suicide attempt or if it was just absentmindedness.

NJ is a great character. He's a good man who has achieved everything a man is "supposed" to achieve yet he's empty inside. Like many of us he clings to the time when he feels he was happiest. When he finally gets an opportunity to visit his past, it is revealed to us why he made the choices he made. Somehow when we reminisce about a lost love, we tend to block out the bad. I have a feeling NJ had been doing it for 30 years. We also have no idea whether or not he will commit infidelity because he doesn't know either.

As Friday mentioned before, this film has a very voyeuristic approach. I also love the framing and use of reflections in this film. The contrast between the chaotic atmosphere in the reflections and the quiet conversations between the characters. I liked how when NJ and his associates were having a meeting and we see birds flying around outside. Funny thing is that it's not really a "stylish" film yet it has so much style (if that makes sense). There doesn't seem to be any trickery or the usual audience manipulation. I think most American directors would have overplayed their hand with the whole NJ and Sherry romance. Yang played it perfectly.

Ota himself is a very interesting character who had an interesting refreshing outlook on life yet thankfully they don't just throw him in the film as a "Forrest Gump phillosopher" who changes everyones lives with his brilliant phrases and insight.

Same could be said for Yang Yang. He has some brilliant lines but they don't overdo it. Sure the kid is cute but he's actually more interesting than he is cute. We're always thinking "what the hell is he doing now?"

The family dynamic in this film is very interesting. One thing I also noticed is that they really don't spend much time together. One comes home, one leaves etc.. The only times we really see even the immediate family together at once is at the wedding and the funeral.

I like the scene where Ting Ting is coming home and we see the teacher rushing out of the neighbors apartment (the 2nd time). We are automatically made to assume the teacher is there for the mother. As Ting Ting leaves, we see the mother actually just getting home from work. Just enough there to make us say "wait a second..."

And what was the deal with the grade school teacher and the little girl? Yang Yangs friends told him something like "her old man's gonna be jealous". Then in the water baloon scene we see the teacher walk up to her and tell her how "nice she looks today". Doesn't seem to be anything going on but he's definitely a perv.

Yeah I know I'm rambling but I'm still leaving so much out. I feel like just about every scene in this film is discussion worthy.

I'm gonna try and check out the commentary this weekend. If I do I'll post on it.

This movie is like a peek into 2 weeks of someones live's. It's a beautiful film and it's quickly climbing to the top of my list.

Sponge summed this movie up in his first and last sentence really.

That's all for now

Peace

Printer-friendly copy

Yi Yi (2000) [View all] , ricky_BUTLER, Sat Aug-30-03 01:13 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
the title
Aug 30th 2003
the director says
Aug 30th 2003
      oh so
Aug 30th 2003
           RE: oh so
Aug 31st 2003
           yeah i like it
Aug 31st 2003
RE: Yi Yi (2000)
Aug 30th 2003
i think it's a film about choices
Aug 30th 2003
-
Aug 30th 2003
Aug 30th 2003
      RE: Execs take note of The Bicycle Thief
Aug 30th 2003
Magnificent...a microcosm
Aug 30th 2003
RE: My take on NJ and Sherry
Aug 31st 2003
spoiler
Aug 31st 2003
confessional
Aug 31st 2003
0 - 0 -
Aug 31st 2003
      RE: 0 - 0 -
Aug 31st 2003
           RE: 0 - 0 -
Aug 31st 2003
                Inbox
Aug 31st 2003
Aug 31st 2003
Commentary notes...
Aug 31st 2003
wow.
Aug 31st 2003
RE: wow.
Aug 31st 2003
RE: Commentary notes...
Aug 31st 2003
Spoilers
Aug 31st 2003
      RE: Spoilers
Aug 31st 2003
RE: Japanese overworking....karoshi
Sep 01st 2003
Edward Yang recommendations?
Aug 31st 2003
RE: Edward Yang recommendations?
Aug 31st 2003
^
Sep 03rd 2003
ahhhhhhhhhh
Sep 03rd 2003
      how do you know it's gonna be archived?
Sep 03rd 2003
           you and ellipsis
Sep 03rd 2003
                RE: you and ellipsis
Sep 03rd 2003

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #7516 Previous topic | Next topic