Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #41045

Subject: "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is a MUST SEE" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Frank Longo
Member since Nov 18th 2003
86672 posts
Sun Jun-18-06 01:22 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is a MUST SEE"

It is a wonderful example of how one can take an established formula (in this case, the racing movie) and paint in the numbers without adding a single thing.

Anyone even remotely familiar with the first two films (or any racing movie, for that matter) will be able to predict at least 20 events in this film.

Hilarious moments which I will cherish:

-- The first shot of our hero, who is described in the film as 17 going on 18 but looks like he could be pushing 30. INSTANT LAUGHTER.

-- The captain of the football team is played by Zachery Ty Bryan of Home Improvement fame (!!!!). INSTANT LAUGHTER.

-- When the captain starts fighting with our hero because he was flirting with the captain's girlfriend, one of them asks, "How do we settle this?" The girlfriend says, "...how about a race?" INSTANT LAUGHTER.

-- When the stakes for said race are being debated, the girl says, "How about me? The winner... gets me." INSTANT LAUGHTER AND CAT CALLS FROM THE AUDIENCE.

-- When our hero starts catching up to the captain, the girlfriend (who is RIDING IN THE PASSENGER SEAT DURING THE RACE) turns to the captain and pouts "I thought you loved me!" INSTANT LAUGHTER.

-- When our hero gets ready to pass the captain, I immediately turned to my friend and said, "God, please wink at the girl as he passes." God grants me my wish. INSTANT LAUGHTER.

-- When the cops show the video to our hero of him destroying property with his car on a particularly big and expensive-looking stunt, the hero sassily deadpans, "Can I get a copy of that?" INSTANT LAUGHTER (for the wrong reasons).

And all of these moments ARE IN THE FIRST SEVEN MINUTES.

Other things to laugh at:
- A product placement for iPod that is comically obvious.
- Bow Wow having some stereotypically black lines, mostly consisting of variations of the word "Damn" and "bruh".
- Stereotypical cross-culture hijinks (to a Southern guy, food in Japan looks WEIRD! to a Southern guy, taking off your shoes before entering a classroom is WEIRD!).
- The dad who supports at least three dad stereotypes: (1) He abandoned his wife. (2) He doesn't want his son to "repeat the same mistakes I made." (3) He's drunk and/or with a hooker-- bonus points for this movie for including both! Happy Father's Day, from your friends in Tokyo Drift!
- The REALLY awful and gratuitous rap/techno music used CONSTANTLY. One cool chase scene would be satisfying...if "Bawitdaba" wasn't the absolute loudest thing coming out of the theater speakers. EXCEPTION: the HILARIOUSLY GREAT use of that Dipset whistle song at a key moment in the film.
- Thankfully, these people live in a world where every potential conflict is solved by having a race. At least six or seven times does someone say a variation of "let's race."
- The shot of our hero doing a cool move, and an onlooker says very deadpan to the onlooker next to him, "Not bad."
- The main girl's jawline. Jesus, that woman could crush a soda can with that thing.

The only thing that I really dug in this film was Sonny Chiba, hamming up every scene he's in. And the cars were cool, if that's your thing. But you will recognize every cliche, every single joke, every move this movie makes at least five steps in advance.

My advice: if you go with four or five of your friends and provide running commentary to the movie, you will have a blast. So call em up and get out there.

My movies: http://russellhainline.com
My movie reviews: https://letterboxd.com/RussellHFilm/
My beer TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@thebeertravelguide

Printer-friendly copy

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is a MUST SEE [View all] , Frank Longo, Sun Jun-18-06 01:22 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Just got back. Couldnt agree more longo!!!
Jun 18th 2006
that cameo isn't a spoiler at all
Jun 18th 2006
      I thought I saw Dude in the commercial!!!
Jun 19th 2006
haha ye. yknow wat tho i had fun seeing this.
Jun 18th 2006
wow
Jun 18th 2006
honestly, id rate it very high
Jun 18th 2006
u talkn bout the bit where..
Jun 18th 2006
No, it's a pretty fun movie (this post may be spoilerific)
Jun 18th 2006
      Box office was a fairly close third place (24 million).
Jun 18th 2006
RE: The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is a MUST SEE
Jun 18th 2006
lol. almost makes me want to see it. almost.
Jun 18th 2006
I was thinking about getting drunk at TGIFriday's before
Jun 18th 2006
i had a lot of fun watching this
Jun 18th 2006
everytime dude called himself a "gaijin" i LOLed
Jun 18th 2006
That's it...I'm seeing it.
Jun 18th 2006
RE: The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift is a MUST SEE
Jun 18th 2006
lol @ "oriental girls"
Jun 18th 2006
& lol @ And yeah, I know how ignorant that is, but shit happens.
Jul 03rd 2006
lol @ Don't expect Oscar winning performances and dialogue
Jul 03rd 2006
Are you independently wealthy or something?
Jun 18th 2006
lol
Jun 18th 2006
      RE: lol
Jul 03rd 2006
I don't plan on seeing it until DVD, but I'm pissed at Universal
Jun 22nd 2006
I'm finna *legally* find me a copy...
Jun 22nd 2006
this sounds fantastic
Jun 22nd 2006
*settles for his 'Terrifying Girls' High School' DVD*
Jun 23rd 2006
they should've just called this movie Cars.
Jun 23rd 2006
RE: This movie will tank
Jun 26th 2006
Nathalie Kelley
Jun 26th 2006
But was it funnier than Waist Deep?
Jun 27th 2006
..who was that aussie girl?
Jul 02nd 2006
Nathalie Kelley
Aug 13th 2006
The bootleg was on point tho...
Aug 13th 2006

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #41045 Previous topic | Next topic