Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #110748

Subject: "I said I was done, but I can't resist" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
McDeezNuts
Member since Jun 03rd 2002
5663 posts
Thu Aug-28-08 03:45 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
88. "I said I was done, but I can't resist"
In response to In response to 82

>>I guess that's true to some extent - except that it's ONE
>>opinion, vs. however many have been made about Pulp Fiction.
>
>
>So basically, because a lot of people share a viewpoint,
>it must be right and valid.
>
>Hmmm.

Never said that. I never ever fucking said that.

It's not right and valid BECAUSE a lot of people share the viewpoint. You're confusing reasons with evidence.

But if a lot of people share the viewpoint, that makes it a lot fucking more likely to be right and valid, especially if you've got BOTH critics (who are the closest thing we have to "art experts" for movies) and moviegoers who share the opinion.

{And we're talking about ART, and not politics, science, disease, women’s rights, or whatever other absurd and poorly thought-out analogies you throw out.}

Pulp Fiction is a good movie. It's not good BECAUSE people like it; people like it BECAUSE it's good.

>So, we know it was genuinely, really, good simply because
>it became popular?

Nope. You keep getting it backwards. It's understandable, but I shouldn't have to keep explaining it over and over. It became popular because it was genuinely really good. I know I'll never convince you, but this shit is just comical to me.

Not all popular things are good. Not all good things are popular.

Let me break it down into four categories:

1) Movies that are popular among moviegoers but that get shit upon by critics usually fit your "popular but not necessarily good" category. They may appeal to lots of people, but maybe aren't very "artful."

2) Then there's the pretentious, arty joints that are loved by critics but shit upon by real people. Those MIGHT be good movies, to some people. But it's not a consensus.

3) Then there's the movies that aren't loved by critics OR average viewers. These are "BAD" movies. Maybe some day they'll be appreciated as good movies, a la Van Gogh, but it's unlikely.
{For every Van Gogh, there's a million shitty artists whose works were regarded as crap and really were crap. He is an exception, not the rule.}

4) Finally, there's the movies that are loved by BOTH critics and moviegoers. Like Pulp Fiction. These are "GOOD" movies. Classics, even. Obviously, even these won't be unanimously enjoyed, but that's the nature of art.

In short, most people would agree that movies that receive both critical and general acclaim are really good movies.

Disagree on that point if you want, but you're only showing your ignorance.

It actually means something when a movie is BOTH critically and commercially successful.

I said you "can't manufacture the level of critical and fan acclaim that Pulp Fiction has attained. If you could, every studio would be doing it."

Your response was that you can, and you gave Britney Spears as an example. But she was only popular among tasteless teenyboppers, but has pretty much always been critically shit upon for her lack of talent.

So comparing Pulp Fiction, which is loved by BOTH critics (who are generally regarded as better judges of art than mere consumers, since that's their fucking job) and fans, is an incredibly poor comparison. Again, why do I bother with you at all?

Pulp Fiction is almost universally regarded as a high quality work of art.

And I get it - in your world, the more people that share an opinion, the more likely it is to be wrong. Popular but wrong. Brilliant! You are a rebel who goes against the grain. Kudos, congrats.

But in reality, when talking about art (which movies are), the ONLY possible way to measure and judge them is based on people OPINIONS, because art is subjective.

So when a shitload of people share the same opinion about a work of art, that means something.

YOUR opinion, which is the ONLY fucking thing you have with which to argue, is worth dogshit to me (okay, less than dogshit, but let's not be mean).

Meanwhile, the cumulative opinions of both critics and moviegoers alike is worth something to me.

If "consensus doesn't legitimize art" - even among both critics and the general population - what does?

>Actually, consensus says nothing about the validity
>of a point. All "consensus" tells us is that viewpoint
>is popular.
>
>"Popular" does not equal "correct."

How else do you judge art?

Each person judges art on its merits and forms an opinion.
Whatever opinion is the most common - amazing, favorable, mediocre, unfavorable, piece of shit - that's going to be how that work of art is generally regarded.

I don't make the rules, that's how it is.

You're free to live in your fantasy world, in which the overwhelming consensus about a work of art is worth significantly less than your own opinion, but most people understand how art works.

>Hence majority of Americans believing that Darwin
>was wrong.

That's not art. Regardless of what Americans believe, science holds the answer. It's not subjective, it's science.

>Hence the majority of Americans thinking W was
>fit for the job in 2004.

Again, not art. Are you really that dense to not see any difference?

>The majority of the world thinks Soccer is
>more exciting than American football or
>basketball.

Well, it kinda is. Not to us, but to them. The majority of the world gets more excited about soccer than most Americans get about football or basketball. Those fans are RABID. The NFL and NBA would LOVE to have that kind of support.

So while I agree that soccer is boring and not very exciting to me, it obviously excites the shit out of millions of people.

So, it IS more exciting. Pretty easy to grasp, and this makes it abundantly clear you are incapable of trying to see the world from someone's else's perspective or opinion.

If you don't like soccer, the whole world is wrong and you're right.

Since you don't like Pulp Fictio, the whole world is wrong and you're right.

Eureka. Of course it's fucking easy for you to dismiss an overwhelming consensus of opinion on anything.

Because you simply don't give the slightest fuck about anyone's opinion other than your own.

>You didn't actually name a single reason. You cut
>and pasted buzz phrases from reviews.

No, I didn’t. I wrote a list of things I liked about the movie. Then I pasted a bunch of reasons other people gave for liking the movie.

But you chose to ignore those reasons, as well as everyone else’s perfectly valid reasons for liking the movie. But I called it – you still can’t admit you’re wrong, you can’t admit that you’ve been given lots of reasons.

>You wanna know why there's so many reasons?
>
>Because no one can settle on one, because
>the film wasn't actually any good.

Fucking idiot. When people like something for a whole bunch of different reasons, that usually means there’s a lot to like.

It’s completely absurd to think everyone is going to “settle on one” reason to like a movie.

In fact, I don’t think there’s EVER been a single movie that I liked for only one reason. If I only liked one thing about a movie, I probably didn’t enjoy it very much, except for that one thing.

So I’d probably say, “Shitty movie, but great acting.” I think that’s more common than someone saying, “Great movie, solely because of the acting. Everything else was shit, but I loved it.”

>No, people write things, but none of them are reasons.

Asshole. That’s all I can say.

You obviously don't care about anyone else's opinions, so I'm not going to pay attention to any of yours.

And that's why it's a waste talking to you, period.

Printer-friendly copy

Tarantino [View all] , Santi, Fri Aug-22-08 08:29 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Dr. Bomblove: Or How He's Bombed Over and Over and I Love It
Aug 22nd 2008
I prefer his reality TV show, "Viva La Bomb"
Aug 22nd 2008
LOL
Aug 23rd 2008
^desperately and childishly wishes Tarentino made a bomb
Aug 25th 2008
      RE: ^desperately and childishly wishes Tarentino made a bomb
Aug 26th 2008
      RE: ^desperately and childishly wishes Tarentino made a bomb
Aug 26th 2008
           ...you DO know that's ONLY the production budget... right?
Aug 27th 2008
                apparently not.
Aug 27th 2008
      cmon.
Aug 26th 2008
           Bombs don't make profits, it's that simple
Aug 26th 2008
                studio execs dont say theyre "incredibly dissapointed" if its not a bomb
Aug 26th 2008
                     Bomb's don't make profits....it's that simple
Aug 26th 2008
                          cute. but has Grindhouse actually made a profit?
Aug 27th 2008
                               Why is whether it made a profit so fucking important anyway?
Aug 27th 2008
                               it's not to me. dude is trying to deny that it bombed though
Aug 27th 2008
                                    Seriously. I mean, I'm not in here saying Mystery Men didn't bomb...
Aug 27th 2008
                                    True. But obviously the underlying motivation in calling it a bomb...
Aug 28th 2008
                                         that's a whole other argument
Aug 28th 2008
                                         most bad movies bomb...don't act like the contrary is the rule
Aug 28th 2008
                               This is what is funny about that quote:
Aug 27th 2008
                                    Seeing as how studios disguise bombs by twisting numbers...
Aug 27th 2008
                                    k but that's not a refutation, that's conjecture
Aug 28th 2008
                                         it didn't make any money
Aug 28th 2008
                                         Saying it over and over doesn't make it true
Aug 28th 2008
                                         Seeing how the EXECUTIVE PRODUCER called it a disappointment...
Aug 28th 2008
                                    This is what is funny about your fuzzy math:
Aug 28th 2008
                                         he are upset
Aug 28th 2008
                                         ^^^ ether
Aug 28th 2008
True Romance
Aug 22nd 2008
Pul Fiction, followed closely by Jackie Brown
Aug 22nd 2008
ditto!
Aug 24th 2008
RE: Pul Fiction, followed closely by Jackie Brown
Aug 30th 2008
Pulp Fiction
Aug 22nd 2008
haven't had one yet.
Aug 22nd 2008
In order
Aug 22nd 2008
Pulp Fiction
Aug 22nd 2008
Hero and Sin City.
Aug 22nd 2008
QT
Aug 23rd 2008
Pulp Fiction is the most influential movie since it came out...
Aug 24th 2008
if ANYONE says 'death proof'
Aug 25th 2008
I LOVED IT
Aug 25th 2008
death proof was a cool movie
Aug 25th 2008
what exactly did you love about it?
Aug 25th 2008
      What? Huh?
Aug 25th 2008
      what exactly
Aug 25th 2008
      hell yeah Death proof is the shit
Aug 25th 2008
           unfortunately
Aug 26th 2008
                CoSign
Aug 26th 2008
      matter of fact i didn't know
Aug 26th 2008
Death Proof. Bidge.
Aug 25th 2008
clown
Aug 25th 2008
Death Proof was dope..
Aug 25th 2008
RE: Death Proof was dope..
Aug 26th 2008
      we get it, you didn't like it
Aug 27th 2008
           your reaction
Aug 27th 2008
           do you know what evidence means?
Aug 27th 2008
                do you know what evidence means?
Aug 27th 2008
                     obviously you don't
Aug 27th 2008
                          you have no evidence
Aug 27th 2008
                               as full of shit as ever
Aug 27th 2008
                                    RE: as full of shit as ever
Aug 27th 2008
           dude said Tarantino "evated the genre by making a artful movie"
Aug 27th 2008
                that was a bit over the top, BUT...
Aug 27th 2008
                     "a bit"?
Aug 27th 2008
                          still, it's his opinion
Aug 28th 2008
                               Jesus H. Christ.
Aug 28th 2008
                               I don't know why I bother
Aug 28th 2008
                                    You are, hands down, the most illogical motherfucker ever
Aug 28th 2008

^^^The' Weekend at Bernie's' Poster of the Year!!!!
Aug 28th 2008
                               it could be my opinion Highlander 2 elevated the sci-fi action genre
Aug 28th 2008
                                    hmm
Aug 28th 2008
                                         dude, I'm talking about Grindhouse, not Pulp Fiction
Aug 28th 2008
                                              sorry, yeah I was thinking Pulp Fiction all along
Aug 28th 2008
                                                   RE: sorry, yeah I was thinking Pulp Fiction all along
Aug 29th 2008
Death Proof was great...I bought the DVD and I watch it
Aug 26th 2008
hrm
Aug 25th 2008
wow basa, I'm starting to see your point
Aug 26th 2008
niggas won't grow up...still lettin him coast off early 90s work
Aug 26th 2008
      Q or M? Or both perhaps?
Aug 26th 2008
      I'll one up you, Basa
Aug 26th 2008
           dude...
Aug 27th 2008
                ^^^Exhibit A
Aug 28th 2008
what the hell, I'll play
Aug 26th 2008
4 Rooms answer
Aug 26th 2008
Pulp fiction, reservoir dogs, jackie, death proof, kill bill
Aug 26th 2008
Was 'Pulp Fiction' about the scales of justice?
Aug 28th 2008
      how evil and crime function in modern society
Aug 28th 2008
his 1st was his best...Kill Bill's were cool...Jackie Brown was avg
Aug 27th 2008
Sleep with Me
Aug 27th 2008
Aug 28th 2008
Interesting.
Aug 28th 2008
Put Jackie at #1 and Death Proof last, and that's my list exactly.
Aug 28th 2008
      what is so great about Jackie Brown?
Aug 28th 2008
           I largely like the dialog which accurately reflected the source material
Aug 28th 2008
                ok that makes sense
Aug 28th 2008
                     I've never read any Leonard. It's my favorite because...
Aug 28th 2008
                          yeah that makes sense too
Aug 29th 2008
let me go in the opposite direction
Aug 28th 2008
The Kill Bills
Aug 28th 2008

Lobby Pass The Popcorn Pass The Popcorn Archives topic #110748 Previous topic | Next topic