Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #9288

Subject: "Ancient Egyptian Mathematics (Lecture Review)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Utamaroho
Charter member
17658 posts
Mon Feb-18-02 04:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Ancient Egyptian Mathematics (Lecture Review)"

"No wonder the Europeans want to claim Egypt." -Runoko Rashidi at Global African Presence Lecture.

This statement is reiterated in the lecture by Charles Finch III, M.D. during a presentation on Ancient Egyptian Mathematics. This was a precurser to a lecture and discussion on Mathematics as it relates to Black Children held at Stone Mountain Charter School. Several african centered shools were represented, from Alkebulan, to the Aya Institute. Discussions about the "disconnect" that many children (specifically black children) go through when dealing with learning math. The discussion (micro level interaction) was preceded by Dr. Finch's lecture (macro level introduction) that provided the background for the involvment of our (African Peoples) involvement in Mathematics. This part of the lecture was placed in order to show the "HISTORICAL" disconnect between Africans and Mathematics. This was compared to the individual stories of "disconnectedness" with mathematics that was told by lecture participants. After all was said and done...THERE IS NO REASON FOR BLACK PEOPLE TO USE THE EXCUSE "I'm not good in math"...EVER. Not students...not parents...not teachers...or people throughout the community.

Why? Because mathematics are a part of everyone's life and is found in and necessary for daily activity. Also, considering the sheer volume of history that we have in the invention and creation of mathematics...there is no reason to continue the age old phrase of "i wasn't good in math, so that's why she's not." or "i was never able to pick it up, so it don't matter if you get it." Also discussed was the behavior of how entering certain levels, and classes for mathematics alienates students from their peers, whereas being in "the smart class" starts a social separation between the "smart student" an his or her peers. This often leads to feelings of isolation (initiated by self and by peers) and at times the "playing dumb" behavior in which the child tries to purposely appear stupid to gain acceptance.

Why is this important? One of the most interesting points made was how when african students are taught mathematics in the european setting...often times they were/are made to choose between "mama's methods" and "how the teacher wants us to do it". (i'm sure some of the okayparents have heard this one) This forces the child to choose, at a very early age, between academia, or family(communal) ways of doing/operating. In traditional african systems there is no reason at all for a child to choose between community and academia, because they are intertwined as is shown by the presence of teacher/community leaders' involvement in the teaching processes. This creates a sense of unity in "school" and in "life" as far learning goes and no "disconnect" (key term used to describe this feature in european learning as it pertains to africans) involved in a child's matriculation through school.

NOW to the Egyptian Mathematics part...

As a math major, this was a fun lecture to be at. Not only did i learn some things, but was challenged and inspired to do some research into some of the more fragmented info concerning some of the work the egyptians did. This is a good "pick me up" for my hieroglyphic studies. Studying their procedures and findings for calculating the dimensions of the earth alone would make for a good summer project...Also, their ideas and findings abou the heavens were something to be admired. "HOW" they did it is what fascinates me most. Maybe i'll get a group of Math cats together and try to replicate some of their procedures. They had advanced knowledge of algebra, trigonometry, and at least the beginning phases of calculus (although whether they actually HAD the ability for calculus is still under debate). What i found most interesting was their use of powers of 2 for multiplication of large numbers (multiplication by doubling). There is SO much i left there wanting to get into that i don't really know where to start, althogh a nice replication of the RMP (Rind Mathematical Papyrus) would be a good birthday gift if any of yall wanna buy me something.

Red, Black, Green

Printer-friendly copy

Ancient Egyptian Mathematics (Lecture Review) [View all] , Utamaroho, Mon Feb-18-02 04:11 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
i talk about this all the time
Feb 18th 2002
my experience...
Feb 18th 2002
volume of solids
Feb 18th 2002
of course THEY knew.
Feb 18th 2002
      they also showed it's plane geometry being written...AND applied...
Feb 18th 2002
           that's the part of calc that i hated.
Feb 18th 2002
(short off topic)
Feb 18th 2002
Women as the First Mathematicians
Feb 18th 2002
this is important because...
Feb 18th 2002
reading my mind.
Feb 18th 2002
moreso than that...
Feb 18th 2002
Jewel Pookrum, MD
Feb 18th 2002
also:
Feb 18th 2002
RE: reading my mind.
Feb 18th 2002
      modern ideas about "hunter gatherer" societites has been challenged...
Feb 18th 2002
           RE: modern ideas about "hunter gatherer" societites has been challenged....
Feb 18th 2002
                ok. will do. (get you some names)
Feb 18th 2002
                     RE: ok. will do. (get you some names)
Feb 18th 2002
                          yeah... Dr. Charles Finch in Echoes of the Old Darkland
Feb 18th 2002
                               when i say lack of work...
Feb 18th 2002
                               RE: when i say lack of work...
Feb 18th 2002
                               I don't know about that
Feb 18th 2002
                               it is.
Feb 18th 2002
                               RE: yeah... Dr. Charles Finch in Echoes of the Old Darkland
Feb 18th 2002
WOW.
Feb 18th 2002
RE: Women as the First Mathematicians
Feb 18th 2002
When is your birthday?
Feb 18th 2002
hold up
Feb 18th 2002
RE: Ancient Egyptian Mathematics (Lecture Review)
Feb 18th 2002
what was the point of this response?
Feb 18th 2002
RE: what was the point of this response?
Feb 18th 2002
that's a good link. thanks!
Feb 18th 2002
      RE: that's a good link. thanks!
Feb 18th 2002
thank you my brother
Feb 18th 2002
My heads been in
Feb 19th 2002
Feb 19th 2002
Feb 22nd 2002

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #9288 Previous topic | Next topic