Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #4220

Subject: "RE: are egyptians black?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Sopdet
Charter member
741 posts
Thu Aug-28-03 06:37 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
12. "RE: are egyptians black?"
In response to In response to 9

''my apologies. but, i am interested in having my answer questioned by sources other than what i read in books.''

Why not try an Anthropology journal?

Keita, S.O.Y. Studies and "Comments on Ancient Egyptian Biological
Relationships
History of Africa
Crichton, Michael. "A Multiple Discriminate Analysis of Egyptian and
African Negro Crania," Papers of the Peabody Museum of Archeology and
Ethnology 57:45-67

The Racial Identity of Ancient Egyptian Populations Based on the
Analysis of Physical Remains
Robins and Schute

''what about the denizens of lower egypt?''

Lower Egypt was in Northern Egypt,which had little significance on the formation of Dyanstic Egypt. Upper Egypt is where most of the Pharoahs came from. The people in Lower Egypt were a mixture of Costal Northern African types,Syro-Palestinean types,and also tropical Africans. Lower Egypt has always been ethnically mixed,even at the beggining of the pre-dyanstic era.

''meaning? egyptians revere those who are lightskinned and have european features?''
No,meaing the Ancient Egyptians painted themselves in many colors from blue to red. You cannot go off one stature,and then except it to represent the entire populations. Define European features,because Europeans have pointy think noses. You can look at most of the Old Kingdom nose types and see,while many might have high bridged noses,none are pointy like Western,Northern,and Southern Europeans. Nasal shapes,might I remind you have nothing to do with your racial affiliatuion,but come from climate adaptation. Somalis,Ethiopians,and even Fulani have narroweer noses than Bantus,but does this mean that they are not ''black''? The nose shape develoiped differently in different types of clines. A moist cline will most likley evovle a wide nose;while dry humid desert like areas evolve a more narrow nose.

Here is also what I mean

In keeping with certain arististic conventions,the skin tone of Moses are a brownish red,indicative ,it has been argued of his activities which were conducted out-of doors. His wife's are yellow,indicative ideal seclusion in her home. To argue,therefore,as some have done about the ethnicity of the Ancient Egyptians relying soley on skin colors is bound to have disatours effects. Few would,for example,argue that Semerka was oriental on the basis of her skin color. Polychromy in Ancient Egyptian art is symbolic,not represential. In addition,one notes that the use of black paint,a convention in the Old Kingdom intended to mask the negative stone and seperate it from the principle image

page 58

Spelndors of Ancient Egyptian Museums
written and complied by Dr. Robert Bianchi

Splendors of Ancient Egypt: From the Egyptian Museum, Cairo </exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0788159011/qid=/sr=/ref=cm_lm_asin/102-2789412-0004168?v=glance>
by Robert S. Bianchi (Hardcover - December 1998)

''but persians dominated the area in 525-405 b.c''

What's your point;since Persians were foreginers.

''if some of the pharoahs were greek ''

This did not come untill around Ptolomeic dyansty.

''and many resemble arabs ''

Not really. Rameses II family possibly came from a Semetic background,but no pharoahs looked like Arabs.

''of the close proximity to the middle east''

Well,only one part if Egypt,Lower Egypt,is close to the Middle East. Cutlure is what matters,and Egypt had absolutley no cultural simialrities to the Middle East.

''isn't it legitimate to say that egypt is in fact different from the rest of africa?''

Ethiopia is right across the border from Yemen;yet I hear nobody trying to seperate Ethiopia from Africa. The fact remains Egypt had more in common with African than it did with the Middle East. Egypt is culturally part of Africa,reguardless if a few Egyptians in Lower Egypt were mixed with other ethnic groups.

Somebody please archive this post,because I don't feel like having this debate every week. This is rather tiresome.

Printer-friendly copy

are egyptians black? [View all] , EdgarAllanPo, Tue Aug-26-03 09:51 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: are egyptians black?
Aug 26th 2003
Aug 26th 2003
Aug 26th 2003
Yep,
Aug 27th 2003
I get sick of this arguement
Aug 27th 2003
Aug 27th 2003

Aug 27th 2003
      no. here are links to the information/discussion....
Aug 28th 2003
Arab/African racial mix....so of course...
Aug 27th 2003
there whatever you want them to be
Aug 27th 2003
RE: Stop the bullshit
Aug 27th 2003

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #4220 Previous topic | Next topic