>Let's Play Jeopardy: > >cashone_again: "economics for 1000 alex..." >alex trebeck: "this has >>shit to do with black folks keeping money in their own >>community or economic empowerment." >*Boop* *Boop* >alex trebeck: "cashone_again..." >cashone_again: "what is marketing, alex." >** crowd cheers ** >**camera pans to mother, smiling in audience...father nods in >approval.**
- oh wow! a real life tapdancing online coon! thanks for that little theatrical sketch, i needed that. but the last time i checked this post has NOTHING to do with bronzville or the black wall street and you have done a shitty job with explaining how marketing has anything to do with the black communities economic empowerment. outside of this little "sketch"...OOH!! if we all do little sketches l ike this, can we have an awards show on here @ the end of the year!? i'd give u the nod for best visual effects, those sound effects seem like they came straight from lucasarts...
>do you... > >>LOVE these images. > >?? (rhetorical question, but if they didn't exist, would you >have been the one to come up with them or present them to an >all-black audience)
- absolutely I would. If it brings money and ratings. you people wear your hearts on your sleeves too much which is why most of you will wind up being managers @ quick-n-go before by the time you are 40.
>have i read any of your comments? yes. >you believe that marketing is a reflection of a pre-existing >reality - where consumers sell the product and marketers serve >as a medium to mass communication, letting folks in oregon >know that the latest styles in new york are mid-high kicks >with the jumpman label.
- hold up? thats what I "believe"!? last time i checked that is how marketing works!! but lets take a pause - how would YOU market your product to urban teenage blacks? ive seen candy, bubble gum, soda's, damn near every product that's been targeted to "US" is laced with hip hop and stereotypes...shit i just saw a commercial for comcast cable where this seemingly intelligent middle class black woman just yelled out "WORD" at the end for no reason at all. the shit makes $$$ and moves products.
>>PERIOD. end of discussion. >"here, pop this in there..that way we can keep talking" >**hands suave_bro a tampax**
- *applauses* man u are truly a genious with this online theatrics shit.
>>my black political thought >>proffessor scoffed @ the "blaxploitation" film era of the >70's >>arguing that when we finally got creative control over our >own >>images, we throw pimps, gangsters, hustlers, and promiscuous >>women up there as our role models and heroes.
>don't hold your professor in such high regard - granted, she's >intelligent, but she's human. note that we're discussing media > - not marketing, but the lines blur sometimes - so i'll take >the bait.
- oh, so basically what u are telling me is that I shouldnt listen to an older qualified black person who has the credentials to teach at a college university, instead, I should listen to a muthafucka talking shit on a message board for a hip hop group. riiiiiiiight.
>i wasn't around in the 70's, so i can't speak to shaft and >foxy brown, but shift the gaze for a second. italian-americans >began to gain ACCESS (not control) to media around the same >time. the godfather came out (a mix of crime/drama, with >elements of italian culture - the characters were loving to >each other and ruthless at the same time -great drama) it had >enough italian culture in it that every italian person was >suddenly tied to the mob (stereotype). only in the last decade >have producers breached from the blueprinted plot. italians >don't like that shit.
- okay man 2 things 1) you should have your head examined for comparing the Godfather to dolemite, 2) how do u know what italians like and dont like? there are ALOT of italian americans that love the godfather and LOVE the sopranos. Ive eaten in pizzarias where posters of all the famous italian hollywood mobsters are hanging up. u limpies always kill me trying to speak for "the little guy" all the time even when you dont even know what the hell you're talking about...
>they won't even watch the sopranos. it >doesn't sell to them. it sells to whites, blacks, browns, >yellows, reds...but not the olive-skinned.
- LMAO!!! man u are on that blow 4real. show me some proof of this...i know that the program was being protested by some italian americans which is understood, but show me where a vast majority of italians dont watch that show...no, hold up...im suppose to listen to YOU when u make these stupid assed statements, and disregard a college proffessor..riiiiiiiiiiiight.
>did we throw pimps, gangsters, hustlers and promiscuous women >into our films? yeah, and it's the "hollywood shuffle" (robert >townsend) that got a lot of black folks in through the back >door.
- negro please. this wasnt the early 20th century, nobody HAD to do those parts.
>did >nike give me dreams, goals and ambitions neatly packaged in a >massai warrior-looking black male that could defy gravity? >HELL YEAH, and there wouldn't be a bald N.B.A. player today >without nike. everybody bought into it. not because we're >black and we love those images, i'll let you in on a secret >(it was 'cause white folks thoughts have special powers : ) >it's because these images are powerful.
- here you go again with another dumbass comparison - so what u are saying is that by using michael jordan to boost sales of your shoe, that is the same as using, lets say...50 cent? so the kids can look up to him!? (reebok) that is the same as having a bunch of old people in your commercial saying "holla back?" no it is not.
>and here's the most >important argument that you can present to me - i'm calling >for control of these images...in other words i'm calling for >censorship, like the far-right wing conservatives of the >republican party, i want to control what you see, what you >hear, and what leads you to your final purchase. from my >perspective it's control for a good cause.
- and you are doing nothing but blowing hot air. when YOU can generate billions upon billions of dollars that these images u want to protest and censor do, then you might have a viable answer. in fact, what in the hell do u want to REPLACE what it is u dont like?
>more realistic >images of blacks will lead to a more critical viewing >audience, and ultimately reflect reality.
- that is a very vague statement - what are more "realistic" images of blacks? there are ALOT of black people that will argue that girlfriends, 50 cent, and the ghetto is about as "realistic" as you can get. also, how will these "realistic" images generate big ratings for tv companies and big $$$$ for corporations that advertise 2 our communities? "WORD!!"
>but, if the >marketplace can be controlled for my desires, it can be >controlled by those who oppose my views as well. oh...but you >missed that.
- said the man who is simply complaining and not offering up alternatives...
>see - this entire discussion is about the lack of control. >nobody believes that "whitey" is controlling our images. it's >the fact that they're out of control (and it's near impossible >to control them in a capitalist society - i'll give you that). >the question i posed when i refused to bite my lip was >essentially, would black people create these images on their >own?
- we already do. do u live under a ROCK!? do u think these BLACK video directors get their orders from "massa" to do these videos!? do u think movies like SOUL PLANE came from the brain of a WHITE man!? gimme a break negro, and didn't I give u the example of the blaxploitation film era?
>but i'm really starting to believe that k'orr was right, >and you think pimps, hustlers, pushers...are reflections of >reality and that's why they sell - so there's no point in the >question 'cause there is no common ground.
- you keep saying "you" as if im the one in control. why do u continue to do this? see your main problem is that u are a clown. no, seriously you are like a real life circus clown that walks amongst the people instead of a tent. in YOUR brain, you think that there is a group of old white men sitting around in a room saying "give them these images!! keep them down!!" this is how your little brain works. however, this isnt how REAL LIFE works. and deep down u know that isnt how it works, but as a clown, your job is to shuck and jive...2 entertain. but instead of entertaining for kids in a tent, u are shucking for these "activist" types that are also clowns....
>>WHO WOULD THRIVE "NOT"PUSHING THESE IMAGES!?!? > >anyone trying to reach a black consumer base. only those >trying to reach the general "white" market would thrive, and >they'd thrive because of sheer numbers. they're not trying to >reach the black consumer - at least not realistically. i know >people born into upper-middle class families who follow >marketers whims like they're bloodhounds trailing dred >scott..."ooh, nelly...ooh, jay-z...oooh, T.I....ooh, fitty >cent." they walk around their neighborhoods with untrained >pitbulls, they answer their doors with machete in hand, and >their home is filled with sawed off shot-guns. living in fear >and creating fear amongst their neighbors. do marketers want >their money? they'll take it, but that's not their target >market, they're nothing but icing on the cake - reinforcing >the images that marketers have created. > >http://www.graffiti.org/faq/esposito.html > >quit playing the scarecrow and paste this.
- well I cant help you man. in your world, black people are walking around sad and depressed, and ALL we do is complain about our oppressions and the images that we see on television...in your world black people are REALLY saddened that we see rims, hoes, gold teeth, tatoos, guns and brains all on our television sets...*sigh*...i guess we have no choice but to walk around with braids, golds in our mouths, rims and have a bunch of hoes too...oh woe is us. in YOUR world, black people truly desire to wear khakis and suits everyday and everytime we blaze up a blunt or go to pull our pants down below our asses we cry a river....help us...oh please help us "activists"...your people are lost...please fight the evil media from controlling us for another decade...