Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #2871

Subject: "RE: It's an investment................" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
ConcreteCharlie
Member since Nov 21st 2002
71387 posts
Fri Nov-14-03 06:21 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
15. "RE: It's an investment................"
In response to In response to 8

well, you are right on a couple things; it's no guarantee and in fact if you are not wealthy to begin with studies have shown working straight out of high school is more lucrative. but those numbers are skewed because they assume you can get a decent job and save a dime, two things that are increasingly difficult; rapidly so in the last few years with the disappearance of American manufacturing, agricultural and industrial jobs.

that it's 50/50 that people "fail" with a degree is a hell of a statement to make. Where does 50/50 come from and what is "failing?" I know plenty of reasonably wealthy people without college degrees, but most of them send their kids to college, so it can't be roses and saffron making it without one. Not to mention the fact that I didnt go to college to get rich at all myself and considered it only an investment in an education and a great time. Between the lack of certainty and the wealth of other benefits from going to school, if you're going to get paid you are going for the wrong reason. You should work and save your money like the survey says if that is what you are after because there are no $80K/year jobs to start even for computer engineers like there were a few years back.

As for loans, grants and scholarship, a TON of money (I knew the figure in 2000 when I was applying; cant recall now) goes unclaimed. As someone already mentioned, if your parents really don't have the money, even if they have a heavy income with heavy debts, you can get at a bare minimum loans to cover everything and even grants. In Cali they give more loans and less grants as you move up; in part because of changing state budgets but also because they figure you are more able to pay them back and you move closer to a degree (damn!). But if you hustle you can do what I did and make it through school in 3 years or go to a JC if you can afford that more easily and do two years there(not sure how that works out with fin aid). But with the the 3 year deal, they paid for pretty much my entire first year in grants plus I got a couple of little bs scholarships I sought out (they amounted to maybe $1000); over half of my second year was paid for in grants (rest in loans) and my third year was about 50/50. Summer school has reduced fees, if you wanna push through you will have to go but it also has fin aid available almost everywhere from a separate form and your annual FAFSA. I was turning down loans by the time I got deeper into my career and they are cool about paying them back. Almost always you dont have to start repaying the bulk of them until you are out of school and they dont carry credit card interest rates or anything.

Anyway, sure education is going up but it's always been expensive and there are now more ways to circumvent the expense; when my dad was in school in the 60s they paid for everything pretty much and it was more exclusive in terms of wealth who went to college. I think you may see some different things happen if a dem gets elected president but who knows? Education always takes a backseat to war, it's terrible but it's always true; I'd like to see mufuckas hold a bake sale to build an aircraft carrier.

Today, people are willing to go into debt for anything, they finance a pack of tic tacs at ridiculous interest. Housing seems to have really shot upwards and that is a problem for students. The primary difference between now and when my dad was in school is the cost of living; rents, greek dues, bills and so on are all proportionately and substantially higher. But they take this into account on your FAFSA, they send you a check for what was over your fees often to cover your living expenses at least in part (during the year it usually covers it, Summertime no).

Anyway, ask people who have done it and, like everyone is saying here, they'll tell you it doesnt kill you financially nor is it not worth the experience...

And you will know MY JACKET IS GOLD when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Printer-friendly copy

Higher Education?? Forget it..... [View all] , BMWK, Thu Nov-13-03 04:50 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Get in where you fit in.............
Nov 13th 2003
RE: Get in where you fit in.............
Nov 13th 2003
You need to quit this shit.
Nov 14th 2003
RE: Get in where you fit in.............
Nov 13th 2003
      College has never been cheap
Nov 13th 2003
      It just dawned on me....
Nov 13th 2003
      RE: um...
Nov 13th 2003
      Look here, ya Big Dummy
Nov 14th 2003
It's an investment................
Nov 13th 2003
RE: It's an investment................
Nov 13th 2003
Nov 14th 2003
Nov 14th 2003
      co-to-the-mutha-sign
Nov 14th 2003
      listen it's not only about the money
Nov 14th 2003
      WTF was your point?
Nov 14th 2003
      i'm not done with uni either
Nov 14th 2003
      RE: listen it's not only about the money
Nov 15th 2003

Nov 15th 2003
                You don't read!!!
Nov 16th 2003
that's why you try to get scholarships/fellowships
Nov 13th 2003
Quit yer whining!
Nov 14th 2003
No way
Nov 14th 2003
      Yes way.
Nov 15th 2003
      RE: Yes way.
Nov 15th 2003
      RE: No way
Nov 15th 2003
after teaching myself, my will diploma say Harverd.
Nov 14th 2003
Like a license to drive...
Nov 14th 2003
College tuition is a fucking joke
Nov 14th 2003
Only the strong survive...yet only the Great excel!!!
Nov 15th 2003
RE: College tuition is a fucking joke
Nov 15th 2003
Going up 94% at SFSU next semester
Nov 16th 2003

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #2871 Previous topic | Next topic