Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #25270

Subject: "Before you open your mouth......." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
M2
Charter member
10072 posts
Mon Apr-09-01 04:33 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
25. "Before you open your mouth......."
In response to In response to 23

..........you should know what you're talking about.

Furthermore, you really should know what you're looking at before you quote it.

I went to one of the sites and looked up Accountant, http://www.salaryexpert.com/salaryexpert/index.cfm?job=4001&zip=&area=426160.0&x=20&y=11

It said that accountants in Philadelphia make about 41k with about half of them making between 31 and 48. Looking at the national averages further down the page, it gave 31k as the low, 41k as the average and 48 as the high. This means that 41k is the national average and 48 is the HIGH average, E.g. for a city like NYC where people get paid more.

Furthermore, a high average is NOT A CAP....in salary surveys most people make above or below the average.

Another thing to consider is that for a lot of people, they start out with a Job Title related to their Major..e.g. they start out as an accountant, and then end up a manager, consultant, VP., Financial Advisor, etc. These positions pay more then just being an "accountant" so when looking at someone's earning potential as an accountant, these numbers aren't entirely accurate. You could have a pharmaceutical company with an Accountant working in Sr. Mgt. pulling down 200k/year. He's an accountant by training, if not by job title...so again, stating 50k as a cap is just plain wrong.

So again, 50k is not a realistic cap for Accountants to make. They are accountants charging anywhere from 60 - 200/hour on up. Just that range puts their yearly income at somewhere between 120 - 400k/year.

Furthermore, looking at average salaries for the Real Estate, Insurance & Banking industries won't give you a sound estimate of what a college graduate working in the financial sector can expect to make. #1. Real Estate is not part of the finance industry #2. You left out consulting, investment banking, brokerages, financial concerns that sell Mutual Funds, the accountants/finance majors that a company that isn't a financial institution might snap up. #3. Real Estate, Insurance and Banking industries have a lot of low level people who will bring the average down. If prudential hires 5 financial analysts out of college for 50k and then hires 20 insurance salesmen for 20k out of college..it is going to push the average down.

But I'm not talking about the low level people who aren't making much. I'm talking about the highly educated offspring of people from middle to upper middle class homes.

So let's get back to the subject, what can college graduates realistically expect to make? IF they major in Finance, Accounting, Engineering or Computer Science and are just decent students? I'm talking about just a B- or 2.7 GPA here.

At my college, I do know that a lot of kids were getting offers as I stated before. As students we received that information, letting us know what we could expect...based on what the class ahead of us had gotten. Those numbers were right in line with what I quoted before.

But let's just say that my college was abnormal and in order to really determine the average salary of a college graduate, we would need to talk to recent college graduates and/or their career centers.

http://collegegradjobs.about.com/careers/collegegradjobs/library/weekly/aa051500a.htm

The above web site provides data for 00', 99' & 97. The data was gathered from US News, Bureau of Labor Statistics and Job Stats. The Job Stats list was the most compelling since it was taken from over 900 college career centers, with provided information on what graduates got as well as what various employers were offering.

So again, you misinterpreted the salary survey, you didn't take into account people changing career paths after graduation, you didn't evaluate the financial industry correctly, and you weren't looking at Data that was focusing on college graduates.

I'm only 25, and I went to school with people who made WAAAY above the averages you're quoting...as did I. I also know what the averages are for college graduates, all I have to do is look them up. I've also hired people fresh out of college, who are making that money. 50k isn't out of the question coming out of college, if we were talking 100k...then I'd agree with you....but still there have been kids making that much as well.

Going back to my original post, it is NOT abnormal in the least for graduates of the fields I mentioned to make 35-45 coming out of college and get into the 50-70 range by their late 30s (28+) then marry someone who makes a similar salary and end up with a 6 figure household income.

For these kids who came from affluent homes, this seems normal to them...while it may seem almost impossible for someone who came from a poor family. Perhaps, you fighting me on this reveals that. You see this as not possible, or abnormal...but in my world..it's the norm. Maybe 70 by age 28, is above average...but 50 sure isn't...60 is well within range as well.

I'm going by salary surveys of graduates, and by what I've seen in my own life. I know far too many people who aren't neccessarily exceptional, who will have a 90+ household income by their late 20s after they get married...a lot of them will hit 100k before 30.

The Bureau of Labor statistics provides numbers that are less in some cases then the ones gathered from College Campuses. But even then, that only puts people in the low end of my estimates..but again..it's an average so must people are above or below. Since, I'm not talking about the people who slacked through college and didn't handle business academically and career wise....my previous post stands.

I'm not going to sit here and argue facts you don't understand or won't accept...so if you want to discuss this further please come back with some real facts. I'm sick of the defeatists who love to tell me things aren't possible, that really are and are happening every day to average people. Especially amongst other Blacks, I have a friend now who thinks that buying a house is out of the question for people our age...that you'd have to be on some Bill Gates isht to do so.

I have an Aunt and Uncle who only have an associates degree between them, earn over 6 figures collectively and own 3 homes. Her side of the family is poor and blue collar, and don't understand how they can pull it off....and are always suspecting that they're selling drugs and isht to live how they do. WRONG! They are aware of what they can accomplish and don't impose limits on themselves.

But again, it's because of the environment in which they were raised...they see impossible what others see commonplace.

Their defeatist thinking is one of the reasons that Whites have Financial success in areas we don't. Sometimes we think something is impossible, when in fact it isn't. This is part of the reason why poor whites are more likely to own their homes, even if they don't have people to help them out...they didn't impose that limit on themselves.

I'm not arguing opinion here, I'm arguing financial fact.

Peace,

M2

The Blog: http://www.analyticalwealth.com/

An assassin’s life is never easy. Still, it beats being an assassin’s target.

Enjoy your money, but live below your means, lest you become a 70-yr old Wal-Mart Greeter.

Printer-friendly copy

The "Less Fortunate" [View all] , Expertise, Sat Apr-07-01 03:24 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
My Thoughts
Apr 07th 2001
RE: My Thoughts
Apr 08th 2001
      What In Hell?!
Apr 08th 2001
let
Apr 08th 2001
let's get macy gray
Apr 08th 2001
RE: let's get macy gray
Apr 08th 2001
RE: let's get macy gray
Apr 08th 2001
      what "cultural traits" are keeping people poor?
Apr 13th 2001
           RE: what "cultural traits" are keeping people poor?
Apr 13th 2001
RE: The "Less Fortunate"
Apr 08th 2001
Comments
Apr 08th 2001
      RE: Comments
Apr 08th 2001
      Re: Comments
Apr 08th 2001
           RE: Re: Comments
Apr 08th 2001
           Quick Comments
Apr 09th 2001
                but...
Apr 09th 2001
                RE: but...
Apr 09th 2001
                Ha.
Apr 10th 2001
                     More crackpots
Apr 10th 2001
                          RE: More crackpots
Apr 10th 2001
Apr 11th 2001
Apr 11th 2001
                          Funny
Apr 11th 2001
           RE: Re: Comments
Apr 09th 2001
      Addendum...
Apr 08th 2001
      your number are shaky...
Apr 08th 2001
      RE: your number are shaky...
Apr 08th 2001
           indeed
Apr 08th 2001
                oh great
Apr 08th 2001
                don't worry!
Apr 09th 2001
                RE: indeed
Apr 09th 2001
                     i'm not like that
Apr 09th 2001
      Hold up
Apr 09th 2001
           Where are you getting your numbers?
Apr 09th 2001
                RE: Where are you getting your numbers?
Apr 09th 2001

Any other College Grads
Apr 09th 2001
                          never said..
Apr 10th 2001
                          Futhermore
Apr 10th 2001
                               Question:
Apr 10th 2001
                               RE: Futhermore
Apr 10th 2001
                                    Silly Negroe
Apr 10th 2001
                                         Excuse me
Apr 10th 2001
                                         Good Luck Then.......
Apr 10th 2001
                                         That's just sad......
Apr 10th 2001
                                              This Cat..
Apr 10th 2001
                                                   RE: This Cat..
Apr 10th 2001
                          ...jesus.
Apr 10th 2001
                          Are you guys on the PIPE!
Apr 10th 2001
                               RE: Are you guys on the PIPE!
Apr 10th 2001
                                    Come back in five years.....
Apr 10th 2001
                                         RE: Come back in five years.....
Apr 10th 2001
                                              RE: Come back in five years.....
Apr 11th 2001
                                                   Bullshit.
Apr 11th 2001
                                                        You're missing the point
Apr 11th 2001
                                                             RE: You're missing the point
Apr 12th 2001
                          RE: Any other College Grads
McHottie
Apr 10th 2001
                               i love this girl
Apr 10th 2001
                               That is what
Apr 11th 2001
                               RE: That is what
Apr 11th 2001
                                    Agreed...
Apr 12th 2001
                                    RE: That is what
Apr 15th 2001
                               Thank GOD!!!!
Apr 15th 2001
BOO HISS!!!!
Apr 15th 2001
View from the outside
tohunga_whakapani
Apr 15th 2001
Terrific debate. Gonna have to be upped AGAIN!
Mar 09th 2005
so...is White-Racism a hallucination...re: The "Less Fortunate"?
Mar 10th 2005

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #25270 Previous topic | Next topic