Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #24528

Subject: "African women (our struggle and victory)" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Nubia
Charter member
0 posts
Sun May-28-00 04:54 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"African women (our struggle and victory)"

I have been sitting here for about three hours trying to figure out how the hell I’m gonna single handedly inform and re-cultivate the entire population of African women. I come up for air from my long soak in the waters of frustration only to conclude that if I think this task is possible I might as well save myself the trouble and drown. I do understand that it took me a certain amount of time to attain all that I have and it goes without saying that I haven’t reached my final destination. I cannot say that I have arrived, because that would mean that I have no further miles to travel mountains to climb, nor journeys to embark on. However I am aware of my position, and that there is a path for me to follow, and what the ultimate goal is in my development

I wake up every morning revived from rest, inspired by the sunrise and I venture out with newfound hope. But as I observe what’s going on around me a certain familiar pain and disappointment began to envelop me. I turn on the TV (which is something I do with very low expectations) and see sistahs not even near the lowest standard of what a woman should exemplify. I look in the magazines and I loose my appetite. I look in the newspaper and tears start to form. I go outside and I am forced to combat the glares of competition, low self-esteem, ignorance, self-hate, fear and apathy coming from my very own sistahs. I can continue to testify and vent but I will use that energy to say this. The thing that throws me in such a way when I see all of these images isn’t the fact that I am looking at somebody I care for, or that I wanna see succeed (which I am). Or the fact that I worry about the future of my children if this continues to persist. It goes way deeper than that what and many people have failed to understand when I try to explain my commitment to my people (my sistahs in particular) is that when I look into the eyes of the desolate and misguided I see myself. When I turn on the television to these oh so very infamous music videos that feature royalty in harlots clothing I see what I have become and the vast struggle that waits in my future. I cannot just sit on my thrown… or even make way to it for that matter knowing that far behind me traveling in the opposite direction is the sistah that I see when I look in the mirror, on TV, in the streets and everywhere else.

When are we gonna reclaim our thrown is what I continuously ask indirectly but I never get an answer because so many of us don’t even know that it awaits. There are so many misunderstandings and misconceptions when it comes to the way that we define ourselves as people and especially as women.
This is the topic for the next issue of my newsletter (ALIVE) "the queen reclaims her thrown". I believe that if I can constantly hear and witness my very essence being maligned and misrepresented, then I can display, testify, explain, affirm and exemplify the true definition of a what a woman was still is underneath all of the dis(ease and denial will continue to be.

As a part of the renewal we must first examine the given definitions of women and womanhood. So Webster says:
Woman
1. An adult female human being
2. A female servant
3. Possessing feminine like qualities

Its obvious that those who have manifested these definitions did not value nor have the correct understanding of what a woman truly is. Now as I read this I wonder what words and images others use to describe and define womanhood. So just out of curiosity, I ask what words come to mind when you are asked to define women?

(Everyday I will post something else pertaining to this topic. Sometimes asking for question and or thought, and other times using this forum as an out line for my newsletter… your feedback will be of tremendous help and obviously is appreciated but will not determine the progress of purpose of this)

Peace

Amina NiaRa (Nubia)

with each word you manifest reality...
speech is by nature and must continue to be divine.

Limitations are self manifested...

perfection changes daily as revolutions continously take place...

-Amina

Printer-friendly copy

African women (our struggle and victory) [View all] , Nubia, Sun May-28-00 04:54 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: African women (our struggle and victory)
May 28th 2000
peace sis
May 29th 2000
      RE: peace sis
caramel deluxe
May 29th 2000
May 29th 2000
           jumpin outah my fuckin skin over here
May 29th 2000
May 29th 2000
definition of a woman
May 29th 2000
RE: definition of a woman
May 30th 2000
May 30th 2000
May 30th 2000
mzilakazi
May 30th 2000
           I understand your frustration
May 30th 2000
Define Sisterhood
May 31st 2000
RE: Define Sisterhood
May 31st 2000
      yup
May 31st 2000
RE: African women (our struggle and victory)
RudeGirl/Virgo
Jun 03rd 2000

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #24528 Previous topic | Next topic