Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #23644

Subject: "Can you Buy Black?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
k_orr
Charter member
80197 posts
Thu Jul-13-00 05:51 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
"Can you Buy Black?"

My standard monthly expenses

1. Rent - Apartments owned by white folks
* Do I have any comparable quality black owned options in Austin? No.

2. Utilties - phone, gas, cable, electricity, internet - all owned by white folks

* Does anyone know of a black owned utility provider? I don't think there are any black owned ISP's in austin.

3. Car Payment - Honda makes the car, but the money goes to Ford Motor credit, who are owned by Caucasian Americans, but since they paid off Honda initially, I guess I give Asians a good chunk of my money there.

* Are there any black owned Car Makers or major financial lenders?

3. Insurance - Geico - white folks again.

* Black owned insurance companies operating in the State of Texas - ? Possibly, but since I get insurance through my folks, I haven't looked into it.

4. Maintenance - Oil changes, Car washes, Gas and Scheduled maintenance - Local Honda dealership owned by white folks, mostly employing Latinos. Car Washes - I buy the supplies from Hi Lo and do it myself. Hi Lo owned by white folks. Exxon, owned by white folks.

* Black options - none

5. Student Loans and Credit Card - White folks again.
* Black options - none that I know of.

6. Groceries - HEB, Randalls's (Texas Grocery stores) - owned by white folks who are good ol boys.

* Black options - Charlie's Food Spot on east 12th street. It's not close and it's a convenience store. There are some Frutaria's, so I could support Brown business (which is far easier to do)

7. Restaurants - Finally an area where black folks at least have some businesses.

- Carribbean way - a Jamaican spot
- Stubbs BBQ - A nice sitdown BBQ spot on the white side of town, owned by black folks. They have a gospel brunch on Sundays.

But black folks don't own pizza spots, Chili's type restaurants, nothing on the lake...., no fast food chains

I could go on, but I think you get the point. When I need a dashiki or a new copy of the Isis Papers, I'll head on down to the Black store. If I need a haircut, Kings and Queens barber. But those are the only areas in which I run into black businesses.

For purchases I don't make every month there aren't really that many options. Where are the black office wear designers. I mean I would love to rock a dress shirt designed by and for black folks. But FUBU, like every other black/hip hop designer, make clothes for teenagers. I have a professional job like the other 66% of African Americans in the middle and upper class. My boss isn't going to approve of me rocking some tims and a hoody.

When i want to buy hard goods, there aren't any black circuit cities. Where is the black IBM or Apple?

Even when I buy hip hop, 90% of the money I spend goes to white folks in one way or another. I don't even go to the only black music store because they only carry cd's and tapes. I buy vinyl.

If I were Asian or Hispanic I might have some more options. But being black, the fact that most of my people are employees and not employers stops me from doing so.

k. orr

http://breddanansi.tumblr.com/

Printer-friendly copy

Can you Buy Black? [View all] , k_orr, Thu Jul-13-00 05:51 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
I think........
Jul 13th 2000
RE: I think........
Jul 13th 2000
Dang.... well that killed it n/m
Jul 13th 2000
Johnson's & Johnson's is black owned?
Jul 13th 2000
      RE: Johnson's & Johnson's is black owned?
Jul 13th 2000
RE: Can you Buy Black?
Jul 13th 2000
K.Orr, You Should Move
Jul 13th 2000
Oh, One more thing
Jul 13th 2000
RE: Can you Buy Black?
Jul 13th 2000
go here to find black business
Jul 20th 2000

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #23644 Previous topic | Next topic