Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #23551

Subject: "RE: Professional Career!!??" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
phalnangel
Charter member
6 posts
Sun Jul-23-00 04:36 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
6. "RE: Professional Career!!??"
In response to In response to 0

cant tell you what to do, but hope you get insight from me and my decisions:

since eighth grade, ive been preparing for a career in engineering. did internships w/ govt, consulting groups, f500 corp...cant say i did it all, but i did a lot

one yr from graduation, corp offers, grad school scholarships, etc. i acknowledge that while i kick ass at math (and english), i dont care for what i was preparing to do. changed my major to english

current day: BA finished, i applied and have been invited to serve as a volunteer w/ the Peace Corps. prayerfully, i move to mali (west africa) next month. ill be incorporating my engr background, but although ill following govt rules, etc...i still feel as if its on my terms.

i wont front, i miss the engr money i clocked in my internships (well, not w/ the govt), but i wouldnt trade places for the road i almost chose and i cant say my life is glamourous. i cant go too many places w/ my flossin engr friends...ive had to curb my expensive tastes, but i get by. and im happy.

i do some freelance writing while working for a corp. demon (til i leave), and in a paper where ive got a column, i sorta mention how i
strive to live avoiding risk nor responsiblity and fearing lost opportunity as opposed to change.

i write all this to say only you know whats important to you and only you know what youre willing to do to get what you want (provided you know what you want)
dont be afraid to take time to figure it out
dont be afraid to explore options
dont be foolish, either. take advantage of the opportunity youve got now. explore your company and talk to others. i know engrs who also have degrees in art and paint on the weekend. whatever you want can be done. write the vision,make it plain...then make it so.

best to you...on that note, im out

keep the faith
share the wealth
give the love
~b.

*a conversation w/ my daddy*
D- B, go in there and clean the kitchen
Me- but daddy, I didn't even contribute to that mess...
D- (sigh) there are some things in life you just do because they need to be done. I mean, I don't ask the grass to grow, but it does...and I cut it

"how you gonna have a multiracial country but monoracial leadership?"
-readers digest (paraphrased)

"our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. it is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. we ask ourselves, who am i to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? actually, who are you not to be? you are a child of God. your playing small does not serve the world. there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people wont feel insecure around you. we were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. it is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. as we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
-maryann williamson, "a return to love"

Printer-friendly copy

Professional Career!!?? [View all] , judicem, Fri Jul-21-00 02:28 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Work to live/live to work
Jul 21st 2000
Me Myself and I
Jul 21st 2000
slow down
velodragon
Jul 21st 2000
Professional Career