Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #23551

Subject: "Vision" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Nettrice
Charter member
61747 posts
Fri Jul-21-00 06:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
4. "Vision"
In response to In response to 0

>>My admiration because it is so rare to be sufficiently self directed or experienced at 21 that a major life decision can be made once and for all...

I was 19 when I knew that I wanted to spend my life bridging the digital divide (before the digital divide ever existed). I also knew that my job/career would echo my graduate studies in art and technology. My path was not always conscious but I was always aware I was moving it a certain direction.

My long-range goal at 21 was to start and run my own art and tech center in an underserved community, so I started teaching art to kids. Then, I started looking for opportunited to teach computer art. I discovered that most of the community-based orgs I worked at did not have the resources to support a technology program, so I started building labs in centers in NYC, Chicago, and Boston.

Now, ten years after I dreamed of doing my own art and tech program, I am working with my associates to form a nonprofit dealing with youth/community development and (guess what?) art and technology.

I could have went where the money was. I had some skills and talent but I wanted to make a difference in peoples' lives, create environment in which people could empower themselves. I hit some bumps in the road early and took more than my share of risks but it all worked out. I stayed true to my vision.

Yes, you can have a vision at 19 or 21 and still leave room for growth and exploration. Follow your heart and be true to yourself.

Peace!

"No matter who you are or what your age may be, if you want to achieve permanent, sustaining success, the motivation that will drive you toward that goal must come from within." - Ultramagnetic MCs

<--- Blame this lady for Nutty.

Printer-friendly copy

Professional Career!!?? [View all] , judicem, Fri Jul-21-00 02:28 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Work to live/live to work
Jul 21st 2000
Me Myself and I
Jul 21st 2000
slow down
velodragon
Jul 21st 2000
Professional Career