Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #23163

Subject: "Still Waiving the Rebel Flag" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
epiphany

Wed Aug-02-00 09:19 PM

"Still Waiving the Rebel Flag"

Recently, I started a new job and on one of my first days of work I noticed that there was a man wearing a belt with several confederate flags prominately displayed. I grew sick to my stomach and went straight to my supervisor.

When I asked my sup if the company allows their emloyees to wear apparal that represents racist values and explained to him why I was offended, he said to me, "Well, I'm hispanic and I don't find it offensive, besides, no one has complained and he's (the employee) been wearing that belt everyday for several months now."

I couldn't believe my ears. I felt as though my opinion was being belittled because I'm white (yeah, yeah...Euro-American....).

To make matters worse, when I tried to go to someone above my sup, I recieved more of the same treatment. I, once again, explained that because of the history that the Confederate flag represents, I am extremely offended that an employee would be allowed to to display such a symbol. The head cheese then excused himself, then came back to the room along with my trainer, Gloria, who is Black. He then sat her down and turned to her and said, "Gloria, are you offended by Micheal's flags?" and she replied, "No". then he turned to me with a look like, "see, she's not offended." I couldn't believe it. Again, I felt as though they were trying to trivialize my opinion, as if I couldnt be offended by a racist symbol as long as my people weren't the ones being oppressed.

The boss proceeded to say that he couldn't be expected to send Mike (the flag bearer) home just because of his attire. I pointed out that if a woman came to work in some coochie cutters and a revealing top, he would ask her to go home and change because she was not dressed appropriately and that he could easily apply the same method to this situation.

Anyway, shit was fucked up. so now that ya'll know a little about my problem, I want to hear some opinions.

Wear does free speach end? or are there any limits?
What would you have done?
Does this even suprise you? (sadly, it doesn't suprise me at all)
Who has the right to be offended?
What are the proper steps to take when you realize your employer would rather protect the opressor, rather than the oppressed?
Which is the truer evil, the flag bearer or the establishment that protects him?

"the Pu-tang Clan!?! I loooovveee you guys!" -Hugh Heffner, when he met the RZA at a backstreet boys party

Printer-friendly copy

Still Waiving the Rebel Flag [View all] , epiphany, Wed Aug-02-00 09:19 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
you might be offended at the wrong thing......
Aug 02nd 2000
Update on tha drama.....
epiphany
Aug 03rd 2000
      Sorry, I didn't mean for this to be a responce to you, my bad...n/m
epiphany
Aug 03rd 2000
it's heritage not hate.
Aug 03rd 2000
RE: it's heritage not hate.
epiphany
Aug 03rd 2000