Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #23127

Subject: "raising children: love & respect" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
AfricanHerbsman

Tue Aug-01-00 02:18 AM

"raising children: love & respect"

post about revolution somewhere had me thinking about how the babies are key to any change..being out here in europe I see a lot of fat, apathetic kids with little/no personal direction save to follow the path of least resistance - like electricity. kids still do things & get up to stuff but it seems as though as they're influenced as much by a desire for minimum hassle as the desire to improve themselves.

so of course the discussion turns to parents and this was/is my main point of contention..subject line's misleading in a way but a major imbalance I see out in Western society is that a lot of parents just want their kids to LIKE them.

feed your kids whatever they ask for, drop them off at a fat/diet camp for the summer and stop at mcdonalds on the way home..all the sht I used to find shocking when I first came out here starts to make sense.

I know I'm generalising and that I can't really speak on it until I'm faced with the challenge of parenting..but how do you respect a parents that doesn't respect themselves though? damn near anything goes for kids today because a lot of parents would rather be 'dug' than admired and the cycle continues.

america's particularly interesting because y'all are so inspiringly shameless..I feel like many americans are raised to expect & take what they want NOW on a day to day basis - not even to feel guilty about that but to be assertive & complain when you don't get it when/how you want it.

I guess the question is:

as a parent, how do you balance it so that your kids love you, respect you, dig you and are comfortable enough with you to both listen/learn & speak/teach? does anybody actually have the physical hours in the day for their kids anymore? seems almost like a lost art.

herbsman.

seize your time! - marley

best to take what you need but don't be greedy - 2pac (rip)

Printer-friendly copy

raising children: love & respect [View all] , AfricanHerbsman, Tue Aug-01-00 02:18 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
Hmmmmm
Aug 01st 2000
respect first!
Aug 01st 2000
much needed words.
Aug 01st 2000
      sorta off topic
Aug 01st 2000
      oh yeah
Aug 01st 2000
      RE: sorta off topic