Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #22322

Subject: "Good post.." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
PDB

Sun Aug-20-00 11:40 AM

4. "Good post.."
In response to In response to 0

As the only Australian OKP (that I know of) I feel I have to say something on this. Firstly, the Australian Prime minister will NEVER apologize to Aboriginals. It's a financial decision. If he apologizes it will cost the government millions. Recently 2 Aboriginals lost a case against the govt about this issue. The judge claimed there was "insufficient evidence that the govt workers were negligent at the time". Logic tells me that taking a child away from it's mother and against the mothers will is WRONG !! How can it not be wrong - oh, I know how, when money is involved. Stupid me for thinking a person's life is worth more than money !
As compensation the govt gives Aboriginals very low interest loans which are useless if you can't get a job. They also have declared some parts of Australia as sacred land - most of which is in the outback and is useless although some of it could be mined for diamond/coal but isn't because of the sacred land ruling (thank god for that)
The only useful thing the government has offered is free education. Aboriginals can get into the best universities for free.

The housing is finally starting to improve. My parents sold their house for approx $310,000 2 years ago, to the govt for Aboriginal housing. The plan is to buy houses in relatively wealthy areas and move Aboriginals in so they aren't surrounded by poverty and unemployment. They're working off the product of your surroundings idea. Makes some sense. Only problem is, what was once a nice house is now completely run down. It's by far the worst house in the street now.

The Australian media only shows Aboriginals in a bad sense. Always shows them asking for handouts but doesn't show them doing good (other than sports people). I've asked many non-Aboriginals if they'd hire an Aboriginal at their workplace and they all said no. WTF ? These same people expect Aboriginals to "get a job like the rest have to", yet concede that they wouldn't employ them !! As with most racism, it's all about ignorance. Also, as with most racism, the bad is highlighted and it ruins the reputation for all.

I don't know that this issue will ever be resolved. As long as mindless people keep believing the media, anti-Aboriginal attitudes will thrive.

That's my say.

"you people, if it's not in a hollywood movie it's not worth knowing"

"wisest is he who knows he does not know"

"if life is prison, music is the yard time"

Printer-friendly copy

The "Stolen Generation" [View all] , Guinness, Fri Aug-18-00 04:33 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
thanks for the info...n/m
Aug 18th 2000
Australia has problems
Isis
Aug 18th 2000