Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #21229

Subject: "RE: 3 rights make a left" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Shimmy
Charter member
45923 posts
Tue Sep-26-00 08:00 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "RE: 3 rights make a left"
In response to In response to 5

I believe that most people are "racist" in that they classify people based on their outward appearance.
Now, do they use that mindset to perpetuate the oppression of a certain group?That is where is the evil sets in...
I am conscious of trying to assess people based on their individual behavior, to be aware of unjustly grouping someone based on perceived culture and heritage.
I know this approach does nothing to address the injustices that people may have experienced in the past, or continue to suffer under.

This is the best I can do as an individual.I strive not to fall under the bad habits of a system which hurts everyone.

It may be naive to believe in a some utopian concept that we may actually be able to co-exist peacefully.
BUT, I refuse to assume tactics which I believe to be wrong, in order to reach my ends.I understand the DESIRE to turn the tables--but I think it would be somewhat of a hollow victory.

I remember struggling with this idea when I first explored feminism.I never felt comfortable bringing MEN down in order to elevate myself.I always felt I wanted to celebrate the qualities I saw in men--in order that they could be freed up to be better people. I felt this would be the true beauty of a matriarchal society.

You need to define your own liberation--in your own terms...

Shoot--gotta get back to work....

Shim

“Your body is not a temple, it’s an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain

Printer-friendly copy

how can we create equality without reversal [View all] , d-Best, Mon Sep-25-00 08:45 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
man is not created equal
Sep 25th 2000
Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right
Marinera
Sep 25th 2000
RE: Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right
Sep 25th 2000
RE: Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right
dobopwee
Sep 25th 2000
3 rights make a left