Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #21043

Subject: ""Move Over Girl", let's discuss" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
nappiness
Charter member
1145 posts
Mon Sep-18-00 12:35 PM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""Move Over Girl", let's discuss"

sorry for the delay the computers have been down most of the day at my job and then the boards were down, now i got a zillion other things to do. i will graze over a few topics to get the ball rolling.
1. Were the characters well developed and were their stories convincing?
2. Did the book hold your attention from beginning to end?
......the first page lost me but it got me back after the digital clock thoughts. i enjoyed the book b/c it reminded me of college life and my own experiences on a white campus. i liked that the book wasn't another omar tyree, collin channer, or e. lynn harris type book.
tony, i like this character's blase and nonchalant attitude. his character was a mixture of several of my male friends.
tameeka, broke the myth that only men like sex. but i think there are some underlying issues when a women is not only a freak but be fucking everybody.
kim, we learned about kim in a roundabout way. i think that tony wasn't ready for this relationship. at that time he wasn't ready for someone who trusted him and wasn't hounding him on his whereabouts and actions. he needed more structure.
gina, she was 'pussy' in the glass casing. ya know them condom keychains that are in the case seal, that is gina. there for emergency or when u need it. i liked that they hooked up in the end.
family, i liked the grandmama but i am biased b/c i love being around old people. his family dynamics shows how childhood and experiences molds our personality, values, and the types of relationships we'll have. i didn't agree with the implicaion that just b/c tony wasn't a hellraiser, like terry, that he didn't need his father's presence. hellraiser or no the father needed to be around.
overall i liked the book but i gotta go now and i hope ya'll will jump in and get this discussion started.
OCTOBER book, "Yo Mama's Dysfuncktional" Robin Kelley oct. 16
November book, "Coldest Winter Ever" Sister Souljah (if that isn't the exact title please correct me) nov. 13

--------sig-----------
Nappiness is next to Godliness!!!
"Poetry is theft, I'm a word kleptomaniac" (c)Patience Agbabi
Ms. Nappiness
http://www.geocities.com/okay_poets/nappiness.html

---------------
Veronica-Precious
'Moon'

Check out my publishing company
UnSilenced Woman Press
www.unsilencedwomanpress.com

AquaMoon