Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #21031

Subject: "Standardized Tests in Schools..........." This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
nappiness
Charter member
1145 posts
Wed Oct-04-00 06:08 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Standardized Tests in Schools..........."

hey ya'll,

how do u all feel about standardized tests as well as a mandatory national standarized tests? should these scores determine if a child go to the next grade?
i agree with chicago public schools focus on k,3,6,8 these are the key target grades of a child's development. even better i think more emphasizes should be placed on preschool education as well b/c the ages 0-5 are most critical in a child's development. but my problem with standardized tests, beyond the fact that they weren't made for or by us, is that there has been a reported number of cases here in chicago where the child gets A's,B's,C's on their progress report but because they do not do well on the standarized test they are forced to go to summer school and possibly repeat the same grade. at that point i think that the classroom environment and teaching methodology needs to be assessed. actually, there are so many reasons why kids don't do well on standardized tests and the cure isn't to simply fail the child. these band-aids that school systems use are counter-productive. so the kid fails what do u do to prevent them from failing again.
i remember when i was in high school and the administrators would come into the 'gifted and talented' classrooms telling us that the school is depending on us to do well on our standarized tests b/c we were the 'creme of the crop', i use to laugh b/c how in the heck they gonna put pressure on this small percentage of students to do well on the test so that our school wouldn't be closed, that was some bullshit.
another concern i have with these tests is that are teachers properly trained to prepare students to take these tests. it isn't as simple as making sure u include all subjects in the curriculum but their are test taking skills that need to be taught.
i seriously think that teacher education programs in colleges/universities need to reassessed.
--------sig-----------
IF U WANNA BE PUT ON THE CHI.ACTIVIST E-MAIL LIST, OR IF U WANNA HELP AT THE 10/23 CONCERT EMAIL chicagoactivist@africana.com
---------------------
Monthly Book Discussion in OkayActivist
Sept. 19 "Move Over Girl" Brian Peterson
Oct. 16 "Yo Mama's Dysfunktional" Robin Kelley
Nov. 13 "Coldest Winter Ever" Sister Souljah
GET YO READ ON .........
nappiness is next to Godliness!!!!!!
ms. nappiness
----------
http://www.geocities.com/okay_poets/begin.html

---------------
Veronica-Precious
'Moon'

Check out my publishing company
UnSilenced Woman Press
www.unsilencedwomanpress.com

AquaMoon
Aqua Beats and Moon Verses: Volume I
http://www.spokenexistence.com/aqua_moon.html

Printer-friendly copy

Standardized Tests in Schools........... [View all] , nappiness, Wed Oct-04-00 06:08 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
NO
velodragon
Oct 04th 2000
I'm against some
Oct 04th 2000
IGAP was worthless, IMHO...
Oct 05th 2000
RE: Standardized Tests in Schools...........
Oct 04th 2000
On the other hand
Oct 04th 2000
Oct 04th 2000
Oct 04th 2000
Oct 05th 2000
lalegrits
Oct 05th 2000
rememebr that good times epsiode...
Oct 05th 2000
The Militant Midget?
Oct 05th 2000

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #21031 Previous topic | Next topic