Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #20731

Subject: "Back to Africa...are you sure???????" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
smiler

Thu Oct-19-00 03:37 AM

"Back to Africa...are you sure???????"

One thing i've noticed and am beginning to see here as well (London, England) is that every body has this mild fascination with Africa ( Belly (film), names, clothing, etc). I am not saying this is a bad thing because it's not as an African (Ghanian) I'm proud of my country. No the thing that gets to me is...well here's an example. My friend's boyfriend and my friend are both Jamaican descent and there part of this thing where you embrace your African roots. Basically they're learning some stuff and looking at history in a new light and have been given African names. This is the part that gets me, African names are not just handed out they have meaning to the person who it's bestowed upon and the parents who chose it (i.e my Ghanian name means 1. i'm a Fanti 2. I was born on Friday and 3. the second part is my Dads sisters name.) It's a personal thing.

Now my friends have these names which are I think Kenyon (everybodies favorite African country) which may have nothing to do with them I mean for all I know they could have Kenyon roots but they might not and rather than doing proper research trying to find out their roots they've just got these names. So really the meanings lost they may as well be called Sharon rather than Efua (Ghanian name don't know any Kenyon ones).

And this whole thing of going back to Africa, I mean is it fully appreciated the difficulties people face out there it's not this Utopia everyone spouts it is as much as it's beautiful it has it's problems, why else do you think so many leave to go to so called 'developed' countries.

I'm just saying don't simplify the place or the country to satisfy grass is greener ideas it's not fair to Africas culture which due to diaspora like many other cultures is already getting diluted and it's not fair to the people who are treated as paragons and irritants in equal measure.

Just a thought.

Fuck this feeling of
Insecurity
To BE is divine,and divine well thats me
-ME

Smile it doesn't hurt you and it generally makes others feel bette

Printer-friendly copy

Back to Africa...are you sure??????? [View all] , smiler, Thu Oct-19-00 03:37 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Back to Africa...are you sure???????
Qnbei
Oct 19th 2000
RE: Back to Africa...are you sure???????
Oct 19th 2000
      "...um, am i still on the same subject?"
Qnbei
Oct 19th 2000
      ???????
Oct 19th 2000
           RE: ???????
Oct 19th 2000
                RE: ???????
Oct 19th 2000
                     okay! okay!
Oct 20th 2000