Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #20446

Subject: "RE: economics" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
janey
Charter member
123124 posts
Thu Oct-26-00 07:20 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
5. "RE: economics"
In response to In response to 4

k_orr was talking about bringing in representatives from different economic classes in order to educate the kids about who owns what in the community and how that impacts the kids. My point was that because this curriculum includes a variety of ethnicities representing different levels of ownership, the other lesson that is available is that beneath all of the visible differences, beneath all the economic differences, there is essential humanity to each person. To the extent that we hope to change our outlook on race (including whether or not it is a viable construct in the first place), to the extent that we want to become more peaceloving, to the extent that we want to decrease crime, we must overcome the barriers that we place in our own way.

Every time we identify someone as being unsympathetic because they are not like us, irrespective of what we're looking at when we define the differences, we are distancing ourselves from an opportunity to open our minds. If we line up the Chinese and white businessmen and tell the kids that they are to be despised because of their economic status, don't you think those kids are going to hear "race"?

I'm not saying that there hasn't been historic oppression. I'm not saying that oppression isn't ongoing. I'm saying that we need to acknowledge individuals as individuals as well as identifying the problems that exist. What we all have in common is that we are human beings. We think, we feel, we have emotions. We all try to avoid pain, we all seek love. So let's look to the similarities as well as the differences.

Peace.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=

Every hundred years, all new people

Printer-friendly copy

How to Liberate? Politics or Spirituality? [View all] , Nice1, Wed Oct-25-00 06:57 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: How to Liberate? Politics or Spirituality?
p15t0_d3c
Oct 25th 2000
economics
Oct 26th 2000
RE: economics
Oct 26th 2000
Nice1
Oct 26th 2000

ukaa
Oct 29th 2000