Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #19667

Subject: "RE: why is it that hate crimes legislation make me wary?" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
the root
Charter member
1380 posts
Tue Jan-16-01 12:14 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy listClick to send message via AOL IM
6. "RE: why is it that hate crimes legislation make me wary?"
In response to In response to 5

hate crime legislation is really important, and extending it to gays, handicapped people, etc..is vital. Like people have been explaining, it's not for the attacker, it's for the people. It draws attention to the issue, makes people take a stand. Hate crimes are guaranteed to bring more publicity and with that comes communication. If people realize how serious the government and communities are taking bigotry against gays, minorities, etc...that will translate into their behavior. Currently gay-bashing is still very socially acceptable, but hate crime legislation, along with other action, can make it more of a stigma. BTW, gay-bashing, even from okayplayer artists, is whack. Like Chris Rock would say, "all y'all at least got an Uncle that's gay." It kills me to see MCs that I respect gettin all homophobic, but as Common would say hehe, who is known for his homophobia "one day it'll all make sense."

"they say you are what you eat, so I strove to eat healthy, my goal in life is not to be rich or wealthy, cuz true wealth comes from good health and wise ways" -Dead Prez

the imperfect is our paradise - wallace stevens

Printer-friendly copy

hate crime legislation.. [View all] , Steve, Thu Jan-11-01 09:37 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: hate crime legislation..
utamaroho
Jan 11th 2001
Jan 13th 2001
Jan 13th 2001
why is it that hate crimes legislation make me wary?
Jan 15th 2001
RE: why is it that hate crimes legislation make me wary?
TheJester
Jan 15th 2001

RE: why is it that hate crimes legislation make me wary?
truth4u
Jan 16th 2001
It's gonna backfire...
Jan 17th 2001
RE: It's gonna backfire...
Jan 17th 2001
Exactly
Jan 17th 2001

Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #19667 Previous topic | Next topic