Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #18144

Subject: "the word exotic" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
guerilla_love
Charter member
8273 posts
Wed Feb-28-01 08:13 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
9. "the word exotic"
In response to In response to 8

exotic is a word people use to separate themselves from other people that undermines a basic humanity. for example, think about the difference between a bowl of beans n rice that you eat to fill yr belly and a bowl of beans n rice served because it is from the exotic country of cuba.

if you're cookin veggies on the stove using oil that you have for cookin and some spices, at which point does it become exotic? the minute you reach for a spice that you're not familiar with?

think about some of the ridiculous things people think about africans because they think of them as first exotic and second human. in reality, a lot of the "strange customs" etc. make a lot of sense in their proper context.

there is more danger to calling another human being exotic, which is very much dehumanizing, than in a weapon alone. because it's these crazy attitudes that bring about the weapons in the first place.

take liberia, for example. instead of the american government trying to understand the liberian government for what it is, it installed a government of newcomers who'd been exposed to the american ways of governing. and then quickly called liberians savages for uprising against the innocent new government. that judgemental attitude is what inspired the uprising in the first place.

exotic and civilized are two of the most dangerous words in the american vocabulary. they forge deep rifts between people and cause a lot of ridiculous prejudices.

==**peace**==

"Words without work is not enough." Sizzla

There is more danger in the word exotic than in a sharpened machete --me

"The logic of divide and rule is still valid today." Capleton

DPP; DomePoem Poets; Vibe Nation; One ppl under the spoken word

"Who need fossil fuel when the sun ain't goin' nowhere"
- Amiri Baraka

http://www.okayplayer.com/guidelines

BUY MY BOOK- only $6! Inbox me for details

Printer-friendly copy

Inbread Hate [View all] , PanthersPride, Tue Feb-27-01 06:42 PM

Subject Author Message Date ID