Printer-friendly copy Email this topic to a friend
Lobby Okay Activist Archives topic #17415

Subject: "The Patriot" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
Solarus
Charter member
3604 posts
Tue Feb-20-01 05:05 AM

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"The Patriot"

Hotep

The Afrikan warrior scholar must always review the hidden messages that European display through the media. I just witnessed the blatant propaganda displayed in the Mel Gibson movie, “The Patriot.” Because of the extreme historical inaccuracy presented in the movie, it’s obvious that the movie presented a modern bias on the socio-cultural aspects
of the time period. It was quite clear that the characters in the movie gave a message on how Americans idealistically view themselves (today) through the depiction of their "honorable” forefathers.

1. Benjamin (Mel Gibson) was a good, kind family man who only wanted freedom,but not war. (Americans’ primary concern is to live a peaceful life,centered around family and friends. Freedom and the pursuit of happiness is of the utmost importance and violence is shunned.)

2. Benjamin did not own any slaves. Every African that worked for him was “free.” ( Americans firmly believe that “all men are created equal.” Africans are now respected as people. This can only be the meaning of this portrayal because it was TOTALLY INACCURATE behavior of the people in those times.)

3. Benjamin only went to war AFTER his young son was wrongly killed. (Americans only go to battle when “provoked” thus justifying their actions.)

4. Benjamin carries a Cherokee tomahawk and kills twenty men primarily by himself. He knows the land extremely well and is able to disappear at will thereby earning him the title, “the Ghost.” ( This designates the distinction between America and the rest of Europe. America is a “diverse” nation built on the principles of various cultural groups. American greatness has come because of the ability to learn, “appreciate” and adopt the ways of people all over the world.)

5. A man says he can’t enlist in the militia because he is old and cripple but his slave will fight for him. He tell his slave to come over and Benjamin tells him to sign himself in. The man says that his slave will fight (under
his name) but Benjamin insists that the slave represent himself. (This reinforces number 2.)

6. Benjamin regrets and repents for his actions during the French-Indian War.He admits his shameful behavior in the slaughter and mutilation of the native peoples. (This was one of the worst scenes in the movie. While he is confessing his horrendous actions to his sons and asks for forgiveness, the scene cuts to a cross in the distance. Basically this is the apologetic scene where America realizes that it has done some terrible things and hopes God
can show mercy. THESE PEOPLE DISGUST ME!!!)

7. Benjamin’s son, Gabriel, is talking to the former enslaved African who enlisted. One night Gabriel is SEWING A TORN AMERICAN FLAG when the African comes to sit by him after the stereotypical nigger-hater give him a few disparaging remarks. Gabriel tells him that this supposed “new world” is really the same as the “old world” but after the war things will change. A new world will be created where all men are created equal
in the eyes of God. (This is another part that points to the fact that the characters in this movie OBVIOUSLY represent the idealistic view of modern-day America. The conditions for enslaved Africans GREW WORSE than before, after the Revolutionary War when southern economy began its boom. This apparently was to really represent that belief that modern America is land where ALL men are now truly created equal. Also this was inaccurate considering that the view and treatment of Africans in America was far worse than previously found in Europe.)

8. The African saves the life of the ONE white man that ridiculed him thoroughout the movie. At the end they are shown together as if they are friends. (This whole relationship was pitifully predictable. There is always ONE white racist that is publicly condemned by everyone else (i.e. America).
But in the end he’ll see the “error” of his ways.)

9. Benjamin’s need to be taken to a “safe place.” They are
taken to what appears to be a free African settlement in South Carolina. The Africans readily and warmly accept them. In fact the children’s nanny whom they were separated from, is there and they have a great reunion. Benjamin’s son has a wedding there and the africans have a celebration which the movie tries to portray as a celebration indicative of traditional
African culture. (The movie as a whole played down the image of African enslavement. The majority of Africans in the movie were “free.” It seems as if this was attempt to emphasize the “true” freedom that "we ALL" gained from Independence from British rule.)

10. The last scene of the movie: Benjamin returns to his burnt down house with his family. He sees the men who served under him repairing his home. The African and his newfound friend (the racist) come to greet Benjamin. The African tells Benjamin that his son told him that a new world will be built
after the war and that they figured they would start with his home first. (Leave it to the good negro to put his problems aside despite the fact that he is homeless, most likely has no known family, lives in a society where he will be
considered a slave and is seen as a nonhuman). Sure I help you build your house but will you help, no, LET me build mine?)

These are only a few examples of the blatant propaganda displayed in this movie. I have to admit that if I didn’t write this I would probably have went on the subway with an AK-47 and started mowing down white folks like it ain't no tomorrow. I’m so glad I didn’t see this in the theater with white folks cheering and clapping like when I saw Amistad. But under all this “militancy,” I’m really a true PATRIOT. After all, I watched this movie on President’s Day.

(This has been an okaymoviereview.)

Peace
Solarus

"Activism is the practice of using an internal, self-determining source of power to live one's life and/or enact some sort of change. Power is the ability to define reality, while self-determination is to decide or define one's self. Therefore activism, is not simply something done to right some wrong or to fight some cause but rather it is a way of life. Activism is the way of life where one can define self and change anything that may impede or control the reality that one chooses to live."-Solarus

"the real pyramids were built with such precision that you can't slide a piece of paper between two 4,000 lb stones, and have shafts perfectly aligned so that you can see a tiny aperture through dozens of these mammoth blocks

Printer-friendly copy

The Patriot [View all] , Solarus, Tue Feb-20-01 05:05 AM

Subject Author Message Date ID
interesting
Feb 20th 2001
Thanks
Feb 20th 2001
      i just wish
Feb 26th 2001
           I did
Feb 26th 2001
good shit.
Feb 20th 2001
star wars
Feb 21st 2001
      chasing star wars
Feb 26th 2001
           That movie
Feb 26th 2001
                Funniest Part
Feb 26th 2001
                spike lee is one of kevin smith's heroes (and a friend, apparently)
Feb 26th 2001
The Swamp Fox
Feb 20th 2001
frances marion
Feb 20th 2001
      I have to review the lies...
Feb 20th 2001
RE: The Patriot
utamaroho
Feb 20th 2001
RE: The Patriot
Feb 20th 2001